Is this a cat for the future?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This kind of thing always bothers me a little.  Breeding for a specific feature like shortened legs does not benefit the cats.  Animals with those short legs so often have back, hip and knee problems, too.  It really sort of makes me sad.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 So far as I know it's still in the Preliminary New Breed category in TICA , not full championship status yet. 2 more stages to go to that.    but since they finally managed to get the votes on the board to get this far,  it's not unlikely they could get there if they meet the rest of the requirements.  

Ondine,  it bothers me some too.     I will say that it took a long time to get the Munchkins to championship.   The mutation turned up in some stray cats in the early 1980s..   The head of the genetics committee , Dr. Pflueger, studied them  and the cats they were tracking did not develop physical problems like dwarf dog breeds  They were apparently quite healthy.    She ended up being  in favor of them  being accepted    they got  accepted for registration only in the 1990s and made it to Championship by 2002.  Since then I have heard some conflicting rumors of more incidence of lordosis.   it may be some problems have turned up in some lines?    but I am not involved in those breeds and don't know.

To me,  it just seems somehow wrong to allow a breed when you cannot even breed together 2 cats that meet the breed standard without having embryos that can't even survive (Munchkin or similar dwarf cats),  or end up crippled ( Scottish Fold) .    I think the GCCF did the right thing to withdraw acceptance of the SF and not to accept dwarf cats.    

My personal feeling is  I wished they had not accepted the Munchkins,  and then when they finally did ,   I thought the idea was not to go on making "Munchkinized" versions of other breeds.    I would rather not have even  let them get to Registration Only.

I am just glad TICA's  Board of Directors at least unanimously rejected the "Toybob" , a miniaturized bobtail cat from Russia,  they were saying adults are 2 or 3 pounds !