is this a botfly?

k0daIly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is my first pet so i'm not experienced at all and im worried about my baby. im probably gonna take him to a vet just to be safe but can i get some opinions? thank you

Attachments

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
We don't have them in Australia, but I believe there would be a lump if it were a botfly.
Does he go outside? Has he been neutered? (Toms are more likely to get into a fight).
It could well be a wound that is becoming infected.
Whatever it is, it really does need urgent medical attention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

k0daIly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We don't have them in Australia, but I believe there would be a lump if it were a botfly.
Does he go outside? Has he been neutered? (Toms are more likely to get into a fight).
It could well be a wound that is becoming infected.
Whatever it is, it really does need urgent medical attention.
he does go outside a lot and he is neutered. he seems to be healing very well and it's not causing him pain so hopefully it's not but i am still keeping a very close eye on it

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If it is a botfly that has left the opening, it can still get infected even without the larva in place. They can also migrate in the cat's body. Usually there is a lump if the larva is inside the cat, but I don't think that you should take this into your own hands to make a decision about what it is. Removing the larva is not that difficult for the vet, but it has to be removed entirely. Aside from that, something is relatively open and oozy looking and should be brought to the attention of your vet.