Is There Something Wrong With My Cat?

Frivee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I’m new to this site but I was reading some threads and maybe you guys can help me. I have a just turned 2 male Sphinx cat. Typically he’s very playful, as in, will bolt straight up from a nap if he thinks it’s playtime. A few months after he turned 1 he stopped being so affectionate. He was always cuddling me but there were times when it just seemed like he needed independence. So he would go through stages of being cuddly and independent and aback again. Which I’ve heard is a normal cat thing. Recently I changed his food, I went to get his typical bag that he had no problem eating but they didn’t have it, so I took the opportunity to try a brand that seemed healthier but I kept the salmon flavor which he’s always liked best. He eats the food no problem but I feel like he’s going through less of it than the other brand. Around the same time I also started him on some vitamins, which he seems to love. He licks my hands to keep tasting them.
Ever since he’s started this healthier food he seems to be more distant than usual and a little touchier when I try to pet him, he still lets me pet him but less. He doesn’t come when I call or greet me when I wake up which also was a thing with him no matter the day. He seems to be acting normal other than everything I’ve mentioned above. So I’m wondering if I should switch back to his old food or if there seems like there’s some underlying problem that I’m not seeing. Would switching back be a bad idea or is this a normal cat thing? His moments of needing to keep to himself never bothered me before I’m not sure why there’s alarm bells this time. Please help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Frivee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I forgot to mention, he sometime coughs. He’s maybe coughed 2-3 times in the last two months. Is occasional coughing normal or is that cause for concern???

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
There are some possibilities, it could be he's simply maturing and his personality is changing, and it could be that this new food is either more calorie dense, or its making him feel a little nauseous.

However, see if you can get a video of him coughing for the vet but either way, take him in. You want to pay attention to your instincts :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By the way, you could consider adding canned food to his diet. It adds more moisture to his system and also gives you a little easier time of it when one of his usual foods becomes hard to find :thumbsup:.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he's on a balanced diet, adding extra vitamins isn't a good idea, now he's likely getting too much, I would definitely check that out with a vet. I'd also consider having a cardiologist look at him for the coughing as that can be a sign of heart issues and that breed is already extremely prone to them, that would get my paranoia into overdrive. Were his parents tested for heart disease yearly? A checkup overall seems like a good idea since he is having some noticeable changes. Maybe it's just maturity but can't hurt to check.