is there hope for my cat to blend in? am i doing this right?

kalmia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One month ago, I moved to a new townhouse with my 7 month old kitten, Mars (neutered) My roommate already has 3 senior cats, all fixed, one male (Hunter, 11) and 2 females (Cleo 11, sister of Hunter) (Moo, 8-11). Mars was an orphaned cat, found at 4 weeks old without littermates or a mother. I have been trying to slowly introduce the 4 cats. Hunter seems the most curious about Mars while Moo and Cleo want nothing to do with him and hiss/growl if he enters within a few feet of them, or even accross the room. For the first week, they had no contact except maybe smelling each other through the door. Then I slowly started scheduled feeings to the point where the cats eat breakfast and dinner about 5 feet apart with Mars in his playpen so everyone can see each other. Mars hasnt hissed at any of them once, and chirps at the other cats when he sees them from his playpen. I think he is super excited to meet them, a little *too* excited. I let him start doing meets with the other cats and he does not at all understand that hissing means "go away" and "i dont want to play with you" and will continue to paw at the other cats as they hiss. Recently he has began to show signs of stress when left in my room while I'm out at school. He will dig at the carpet near the crack in the door until it pulls out. I tried piling t shirts near the door but he just chooses a different spot to dig up. So, yesterday, I let him out while i left the house. No one was hurt or scratched, and there was no fur anywhere (and mars is super fluffy) so I dont suspect he got into any fights. But I still am a little worried with the amount of hissing from Moo and Cleo. It might also be relevant that I'm a first time cat owner so I might just be a little unduly freaked out lol. Im wondering if I could get any input as to how to make this process easier? How long did it take your kittens to get used to being around senior cats and vice versa??

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It takes awhile for senior cats to get used to a new addition. But if they are just hissing they're just saying, "hey! Back off!"

One month is very early days in the introduction process. Try taking a dry washcloth and pet each of the resident cats with it and then pet the kitten with it.

Also try some REALLY high reward treats like Churu or similar.

Cat calming music can be helpful. All streaming platforms have them. Choose with without a lot of high tones. Or a loop of cats purring is great.

Are you using Feliway Multicat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalmia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes actually, I bought a feliway friends diffuser for the introduction because I wanted things to go as well as possible. Its downstairs, in the main hub where the cats usally hang out. I have also been giving them treats while Mars is out. They dont react negatively to his smell, as I can pet him and then go to pet them and they sniff and then rub against my hand like normal. I only went on to start visual introductions through the playpen once i was sure they were okay with his smell and sound, after about two weeks. But also I didnt know about the cat music! Ill try that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, gonna take a minute, but you'll get there. Think of it this way, you have a group of 60-ish year olds who just had an 8-year-old tossed into their shuffleboard game. They will adjust, and by the time Mars is two, and fully adult physically AND psychologically, they'll be family.

kalmia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have made some progress in the past week that makes me feel a little more hopeful! Mars and Hunter are getting along really well now (considering). Hunter puts up with Mars' constant pestering to play and even sometimes plays with him! Mars can be seen trotting after Hunter all throughout the house. The only thing is Mars seems to be a little territorial about my room (when I'm in it) so he is extra buggy to Hunter when Hunter is trying to check out my room. Mars also loves to follow me upstairs and downstairs when hes out. Moo has been a little more tolerant of Mars. She still swipes and growls at him when he comes close but she seems a lot less scared. Cleo on the other hand has stayed intolerant of him but considering all the other progress that has been made in under a week, I'm really excited!! Everyone's eating, drinking, and litterbox habits have been the same too so it seems like things havent been too stressful for the cats which is the top priority. This is great because I am in college and live outside my college town so I would like Mars to stay here while I go back to my hometown for the winter holidays. It actually seems feasible now! And I'm sure everyone will get along better after 3 more weeks together.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is going beautifully! Just make sure you have someone reliable to take care of the cats while you are gone!

kalmia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Sorry for the late reply, finals season has been the worst. But I have so many more updates! Hunter and Mars can be seen together most times throughout the day, Mars has even tried to groom him when they nap close together! (though Hunter is having none of it yet, swatting him away every time) Moo and Cleo have been a littleee better around mars. But they're holding their ground around him and hes being super respectful of their body language! Mars has even started avoiding Cleo, the grouchiest cat, without her hissing. I think she might be the top cat in the house, lol. But Mars has been free in the house fully for 2 days now, including at night and during meals, so he can access his litterbox after I moved it. No one is getting hurt still (or seeming stressed), and thats the best I could ask for, since I leave tomorrow! I think I'll add more updates when I come back from the break :)))

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Sorry for the late reply, finals season has been the worst. But I have so many more updates! Hunter and Mars can be seen together most times throughout the day, Mars has even tried to groom him when they nap close together! (though Hunter is having none of it yet, swatting him away every time) Moo and Cleo have been a littleee better around mars. But they're holding their ground around him and hes being super respectful of their body language! Mars has even started avoiding Cleo, the grouchiest cat, without her hissing. I think she might be the top cat in the house, lol. But Mars has been free in the house fully for 2 days now, including at night and during meals, so he can access his litterbox after I moved it. No one is getting hurt still (or seeming stressed), and thats the best I could ask for, since I leave tomorrow! I think I'll add more updates when I come back from the break :)))
Thank you for updating us. I hope your break goes well and look forward to hearing more later.