Is there anything wrong with my cats butt?

caramel2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have seen these on my cat appear recently and want to know if they are something to worry about. I tried wiping off what might have been poop but it didn't come off. It might be hardened poop but I'm no expert.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The placement seems a bit off, but perhaps it is his/her anal glands that you are seeing? They are generally at the 4-5 and 7-8 positions if you were looking at the face of an analog clock, with the anus being the center. The anal glands are naturally expressed with the evacuation of stool. If a cat has looser stools, the natural expression may not be as effective and can enable the glands to fill up. When needed, they can be manually expressed by a vet or vet tech. There are also occasions where some cats just have a tendency for the glands to build up.

You might send a pic to your vet and ask what they think.
Anal Glands in Cats (petplace.com)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

caramel2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I
The placement seems a bit off, but perhaps it is his/her anal glands that you are seeing? They are generally at the 4-5 and 7-8 positions if you were looking at the face of an analog clock, with the anus being the center. The anal glands are naturally expressed with the evacuation of stool. If a cat has looser stools, the natural expression may not be as effective and can enable the glands to fill up. When needed, they can be manually expressed by a vet or vet tech. There are also occasions where some cats just have a tendency for the glands to build up.

You might send a pic to your vet and ask what they think.
Anal Glands in Cats (petplace.com)
Ok thanks I'll try that.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks like dried poop to me, my cat gets them in the same horizontal sort of area. I clean her butt gently with water-soaked q-tips to remove any stuck-on bits weekly -- my partner feeds her puree (e.g., Nulo) on a small plate to keep her distracted during the cleaning, which works well for us. Once the poop dries, you can't remove it easily with a wet towel, in my experience. I try to clean her butt with a very soft/wet paper towel soon after she poops to minimize the issue, but it's not always possible. She's still a little overweight to reach that spot to clean herself (was 18 lbs, now hovering mid-12) and I think is also not in the habit of doing so.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try putting a smear of Vasaline on the anus, you can use a cotton bud or a tissue. It will soften the poop and you should be able to wipe it off after a short time. If your cat licks it, the small amount wont harm him/her.