Is There A Way To Prevent Grief?

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My exboyfriend and I have broken up a little over a month ago. He still lives with me at the moment, but he's moving out on November 1st.
He loves my cats and they love him. Technically they are "mine" because I've paid for everything and take care of them. He was also living with me when I got them so he was there for them since day one.
I don't know how they will react when he'll go away. I know all cats (and humans) grieve differently, but I was wondering if there's a way to help them go through this if they feel sad or lonely? My ex will probably come by from time to time to see them but not at the beginning that's for sure. Since we broke up, he's spending less time with the cats and I keep them in the bedroom with me every night. I think my ex will really miss them and he's trying to get used to it.
Has anyone went through something similar?
If I can make it any easier for them, I will.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Extra love and attention from you is all that you can do. They will adjust to life without him, and be happy cats again fairly soon. But do tell your ex that they won't forget him and will know him when he comes to visit. Cats, thankfully, adjust better to things like this than dogs do.