Is there a way to create 'gravy' in wet cat food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Persiankittens

Snowheart Persians
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert on home cooking for cats, but are you adding the necessary vitamins, minerals and amino acids? Consulting Doris Bryant's book Pet Cats: Their Care And Handling...She devotes an entire chapter to making cat food, including variety, organ meat, and supplements to ensure good health, with focus on balance and avoiding creating finicky eaters or cats with appetites for strange things. It might be worth consulting as a jumping off point, though it was written in 1963 and you may want to find a more up-to-date reference.
As of right now, no; this isn't a replacement meal and is being used for moisture intake.

All our cats free feed on Orijen Cat & Kitten or whatever it's called now, along with a generous topping of stella and chewys freeze dried morsels.

The wet food is solely for moisture intake.

I may reconsider in the future, but right now, they're getting what they need from everything else!

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love ALL of this, thank you!

Do you usually cook chicken with or without the bones for the jelly broth? I'm assuming with then removed later?

Not worried about rice, I've actually been trying to experiential with rice flour for the gravy base.

I'm liking your methods and have been doing mostly that as well, cook, then procces with hot water. I will try stove top cooking as you're suggesting with a bit of good ol rice for some starchy thickener, process 50/50 then see if there a visible difference before/after pressure canning it so i can store it all in the garage!

I use about 1.5 pints every day after adding hot water and processing it into a soupy thick consistency.

I'm excited to try your method with my next batch!
You're welcome! I only give my cats chicken fillet so I don't add any bones to the broth but I have found that boiling the meats with the bones makes a thicker and more flavourful broth so you could try both ways.
Hope this method works for you.