Is there a stomach virus going around your area? And who else deals with IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome)?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in Eastern Pennsylvania there always seems to be a stomach bug going around, Deb and I have had it as well as other that we know, and it got me wondering if it is going around where you live too?

I also have IBS Irritable bowel syndrome so whenever I get something like this it really sets me off and takes quite a while to calm the intestines down, and it also cranks up anxiety and bad thoughts, there is some connection between that and IBS so it makes my mental state not where I want to be, but I am dealing with it. I am told that the change of the seasons also cranks IBS up so that doesn't help as this weather is ever changing. But I try to just keep my head, stay calm, breath slowly and try not to eat fast so as to not swallow a lot of air as this burping up gas is one of the symptoms, and I am slowly starting to feel better. Also avoiding tomato sauce and fish oils and thing like that as they seem to set me off and make things worse. And my 80 year old father was just in the hospital with symptoms like he was 2 months ago, they did an MRI and realized it was his gallbladder which was sludgy and causing Pancreatitis so they took it out, so the stress and worry of that doesn't help. And it is right around 1 year since Deb's dad was diagnosed with cancer and passed late December so these mental stresses can manifest themselves internally I know that!

Anyone else have to deal with this disease?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always had a suspicion that I may have IBS. But to be honest, it tends to only "act up", when things are more stressed and if anxiety is up. So I think I probably just have a "nervous stomach". Specific foods don't tend to bother me, it's all about my environment and mental state. I have also found that my symptoms have become more severe as my physical state has deteriorated.

I have been doing (as well as my co-workers) some research into the link between fascial disorders and common inflammatory conditions that are also linked to auto immune diseases as well as anxiety / depression. All of which are on the rise, especially with our younger demographic. IBS is just one example of what I mentioned above, and has become fairly common with so many people. And it seems like the medical community as well as society tends to focus only on the food, or probiotics and such but are forgetting to look at the physical aspect and proper body mechanics and mobility. What's sad is most people don't think it can be so simple as fascia...and most people don't even know what that is. And they also don't want to hear that they need to do the work and make changes to get better. They want a diagnosis and a pill. I'm not saying this about you specifically, it's a widespread issue within society AND the medical community. But let me tell you, with our research and trials with some patients, it's becoming so clear that it's our own fault that we are becoming sicker. And it's our physical self that is a big issue, not GMOs, preservatives, antibiotics in food, and all that. Yes, of course they play a role in our health, but, as a whole, we have become a very lazy species, dependent on technology, and it's slowly killing us.

Sorry, this turned into a rant.... :paperbag:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just watching something on Youtube talking about how your solar plexis "chakra" can cause issues like this and my muscles around my stomach area have become awful tight lately so now that and what you just said has me wondering! I see some yoga stretches that are supposed to help loosen this area up and I'm going to try them!

And funny thing is I have tried probiotics and lately they seem to make me worse and cause more turbulence down there!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and to answer your other question....we have a bunch of "bugs" going around right now where I live (Ontario, Canada). I don't get stomach bugs often (yay), but I've recently been getting colds and the flu over the last couple of years (stress causing low immune system). I usually only get sick once every 2 years or so. Right now we have a doosie of a cold going around where the lingering cough is lasting upwards of 2-3 months! So annoying, and yeah, I got it, and still coughing (not as bad), but it's been 7 weeks now.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my stomach area have become awful tight lately so now that and what you just said has me wondering!
It's SUPER exciting right now with all the information that is giving us major light bulb moments. I always knew fascia played a big role in our health but it goes even further than what I originally thought.

Look up "anatomy trains", or "fascial trains", if your interested. Everything just clicks!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see some yoga stretches that are supposed to help loosen this area up and I'm going to try them
Stretching is obviously very beneficial, definitely start to incorporate that into your routine. But what we are developing are targeted exercises and stretches to help "train" the proper function of the fascia not just the muscles. They are not hard, it's not like you have to go to the gym and "work out". We are still in the developing stage, but I tell ya, it looks so promising, and will help SO MANY people in more ways then just chronic pain. We are talking about organ function and mental issues, weight management and auto immune diseases. I know it sounds like I'm pushing some miracle cure all snake oil, but I swear this is not just a "new fad" type thing.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A fiber supplement has been helping my IBS for quite sometime. I thought I was allergic to certain foods that gave me diarrhea but my hepatoligist explained that it's the spasms in the colon that causes it. Metamucil has been a little miracle for me.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I get stress induced IBS. I drink Ensure, eat rice and, I have no idea why this help, but a cheeseburger and fries from a drive-in near my house. Maybe the memories associated with Swenson's. Also Immodium. I don't usually have it for long.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no stomach virus going around here that I know of.
I have had IBS-D since 1986. Probiotics don't help and anything high fiber just makes my diarrhea worse.
I also feel that too much fiber and more so probiotics also make things worse for me too!

Last night my mother called to tell us that she had to cancel taking my father to a doctor's appointment because she now has this thing, and the woman at the doctor's office told her "everybody's getting it"! And last night I took Socks to the vet, there is another thread on this as he was throwing up and last night Deb said about 4 or 5 others now are doing the same! :barfgreen: :confused:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I sure hope it's something going around because I've got it in spades. On the other hand, it's another happy aspect of kidney failure, so I don't know. I do know it's put a crimp in a lot of my life. I asked the nephrologist yesterday about controlling it and he shrugged and said to take Immodium.

My options are somewhat restricted because of the end stage kidney disease but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, either on this forum or by PM.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This must've been a virus because after I went to the bathroom twice on Monday morning I felt much better, I no longer had that terrible "sensation" of gas and strange feelings, wasn't sweating mildly so it seemed like it lasted about 2.5 days and left thank God!

The trouble is those of us that truly have IBS is that when we get these things we are much worse than the average person without IBS, and it is confusing and disturbing and makes you anxious wondering "is there something seriously wrong inside?"

These viruses are getting stronger and stranger.....

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was sick to my stomach last week worse than I’ve been in years and I always get stomach issues due to anxiety. I believe it was a virus indeed because I went from being super gassy, pooping everything out and puking the rest to totally normal the next day.

Istanbul is warmer than usual December temperatures. Autumn was the same. The lack of cold makes some bacteria produce more and/or not die with cold. I think this might be it. Maybe it’s similar for you guys? I do read there is an increase on a bunch of parasites in the USA due to climate change as well.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I was sick to my stomach last week worse than I’ve been in years and I always get stomach issues due to anxiety. I believe it was a virus indeed because I went from being super gassy, pooping everything out and puking the rest to totally normal the next day.

Istanbul is warmer than usual December temperatures. Autumn was the same. The lack of cold makes some bacteria produce more and/or not die with cold. I think this might be it. Maybe it’s similar for you guys? I do read there is an increase on a bunch of parasites in the USA due to climate change as well.
Thanks for the information, and I think you are correct, we here in Pennsylvania have had WAY too much rain these last two years which means that the mold and bacteria are WAY out of control!!!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information, and I think you are correct, we here in Pennsylvania have had WAY too much rain these last two years which means that the mold and bacteria are WAY out of control!!!
ugh, climate change is no joke. Be careful you guys. Hope everyone feels better :daisy:

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have IBS (as far as I know) but there must be a bug around here too. Two of my coworkers have been dealing with kids that are somewhat randomly becoming sick to their stomach. I've spent the week feeling fine sometimes and ill others. No other symptoms other than just feeling queasy, which is pretty rare for me. I was up several hours last night thinking I was going to be sick - not good as I missed out on sleep and also as I have a bit of the emetophobia and I have panic attacks when I am sick to my stomach.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have thought that after having an intestinal abscess resulting in a fistula, that my intestines would be very irritable. But since it has healed, I haven't had any problems at all.
If there is anything going around, I don't know about it. But then, I don't get out much so I'm not exposed. I was a little nauseous last night, but it was probably due to the 'larger than it should have been' piece of cheesecake since the nausea passed pretty quickly.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday Deb was at her doctor's for a checkup and said since the walls are paper thin you can hear the conversations going on (which is stupid) but she said she heard a man saying "I don't know if I have a virus or what but I keep running to the bathroom, especially after I eat" so I guess that's more proof there is some nasty bug floating around!