Is There A Remedy For Excessive Shedding Aside From Brushing?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both of my Ragdoll cats shed like no tomorrow!!! There is fur all over the place!!! It transfers to my clothes and car's interiors!!! I brush them daily but the fur is still floating all over and even gets into my mouth! They hate me bathing them to reduce the shedding. They're terrified of water. I will not consider shaving them. The hair is their crowning glory. I feed them only quality food. I guess it's the breed.

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It may be partly the breed, partly the individual cats, and partly the season. In warm weather most cats will shed more than in cold weather.

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two cats were shedding a lot. *The medium haired on in particular. An extreme amount. So much I felt it was abnormal or breed related.* One is a short haired and the other I would describe as medium haired. I brushed them but the shedding continued. It was real bad. I think because of the weather. Anyway I finally went with a Furminator and after three sessions each and incredible amounts of fur being removed the shedding is almost gone for now. I can pick them up and not be covered in fur. There are no tumble-furs rolling around my apartment. I can pet them without fur flying all about and my sticky lint roller usage has dropped exponentially. Maybe I was brushing the wrong way before but I think the way a Furminator works by apparently cutting a bit and brushing at the same time helped a great deal. Neither cat is bald or shows dramatic hair loss. I was really impressed. It is just a suggestion but if you haven't tried one of these maybe look into it. They are not expensive online.

* edited to be more specific (statements with *'s)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the Furminator too. My girl doesn’t like grooming, so we only do two capture and groom sessions a year. But the Furminator thins out her coat enough that she sheds much much less.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So the furminator shreds the hair off?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two cats were shedding a lot. *The medium haired on in particular. An extreme amount. So much I felt it was abnormal or breed related.* One is a short haired and the other I would describe as medium haired. I brushed them but the shedding continued. It was real bad. I think because of the weather. Anyway I finally went with a Furminator and after three sessions each and incredible amounts of fur being removed the shedding is almost gone for now. I can pick them up and not be covered in fur. There are no tumble-furs rolling around my apartment. I can pet them without fur flying all about and my sticky lint roller usage has dropped exponentially. Maybe I was brushing the wrong way before but I think the way a Furminator works by apparently cutting a bit and brushing at the same time helped a great deal. Neither cat is bald or shows dramatic hair loss. I was really impressed. It is just a suggestion but if you haven't tried one of these maybe look into it. They are not expensive online.

* edited to be more specific (statements with *'s)
The furminator is great IMO, but be careful to note OVER do it.
IME the furminator is great for shedding seasons and coats overgrown but if over done, can create a really crappy, sparse coat. ONLY if over used.
I know personally a therapy dog, a Labrador, that was used at a school and the owners of the dog brought a furminator and the kids went crazy grooming this dog and the result was a crap coat.
It's a #10 grooming blade on a handle. The tool "cuts" hair when it de sheds.
For double coated pets, it's a life saver but for anyone wanting to save coat and do it properly, it can ruin a coat in no time flat if used over zealously.
Furminate in the spring and fall and shed seasons, and aside from that invest in a good "greyhound" comb that has a wide and narrow toothed side. This removes undercoat without destroying/cutting the outer coat.
Depending on their diet, consider things like fish oils that will help shedding and create a gorgeous proper coat that won't shed as much. If the food isn't great, consider upgrading.
Shedding is something cats do. Cat owners accept it, and deal with it anc consider cat hair an accessory =)
Excessive shedding IMO is a dietary issue, not a grooming issue, especially if you brush constantly.
Again JMO/JME! =)

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my Ragdoll cats shed like no tomorrow!!! There is fur all over the place!!! It transfers to my clothes and car's interiors!!! I brush them daily but the fur is still floating all over and even gets into my mouth! They hate me bathing them to reduce the shedding. They're terrified of water. I will not consider shaving them. The hair is their crowning glory. I feed them only quality food. I guess it's the breed.
Wet the brush first, it’ll help pull more fur off. Also, a good deshedder might help. My cat is only half Ragdoll and I could stuff a mattress with all the shed fur, so I can only imagine what you go through!