Is There A Reason For Her Throwing Up?

Winniethebullet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! So I have a young cat. Still a kitten but pretty big. Her name is Winnie. I was getting ready to go out when Winnie started retching. She stopped after a few times and didn't start again. So I told myself she was fine, I was about to go and stopped downstairs to grab my phone. Winnie was eating her puke. Out of the litter box. Now I was horrified yet glad. She didn't throw up on the carpet nevertheless she puked. And was eating it. I cleaned it up and left hoping she would be okay. She hasn't thrown up again yet and I was wondering if this is just the minor stomach flu or if I should get her to the vet. Also off topic but I noticed that when she puked, her dry food wasn't chewed up. More like she just swallowed it. I find it strange because I can her bite it and chew it when she eats. Maybe this is part of the problem?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That actually may have been a hairball. They can present as undigested food, and fall is "second shedding season" for many cats. Hekitty has presented me with 3 such "gifts" over the last month or so. And although the re-ingesting is a bit horrifying to us, that instinct is a real advantage to cats. They do it for the same reason that they bury their scat. It leaves no trace for a predator to find.

Even if this is not a hairball, one instance is not something to worry about if she is eating, drinking and playing normally. Are her movements easy and comfortable? When she lies down, is she relaxed, or does she "meatloaf" (the classic position of a cat in pain or discomfort). Just keep an eye on things for a day or so. If she doesn't repeat the vomiting by Monday and everything else is still normal, you don't have much to worry over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winniethebullet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thanks, she was lying in my bed about an hour ago and she was stretched out as normal. This morning she was batting at the strings in my hoodie and was messing around with my hair. So I do think that she should be okay. Thanks!

Winniethebullet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update... Winnie puked again. This time I was there to see it. I hear her meowing in a really distressed way so I run to her. She is in her litter box. I wasn't sure what was going on as her whole body was shaking. I was freaking out. She starts to retch but in a really weird way. Like a choking kind of retch. She puked a lot. More then last time. I managed to wash her foot off. (she stepped in the puke) and she wanted to start eating it. I stopped her and cleaned it up. Now I'm wondering should I take her to a vet? Maybe by eating the puke last time she didn't get rid of the germs or whatever she wanted to throw up. Please help!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, switch her to unflavored Pedialyte (there is a recipe for homemade on Hissy's website "www.kitten-rescue. .com") and then chicken broth, allow the upset digestive system to heal. You can dilute the broth with some electrolyte replacer. Then you can feed the white meat chix or try stage 1 or 2 Gerber baby food, either chicken or beef, for a few days or until the tummy is healed.
You can ask the vet about using herbs such as red raspberry leaf, slippery elm, licorice root, peppermint - cats use infant recipes but your vet knows best.

Winniethebullet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, switch her to unflavored Pedialyte (there is a recipe for homemade on Hissy's website "www.kitten-rescue. .com") and then chicken broth, allow the upset digestive system to heal. You can dilute the broth with some electrolyte replacer. Then you can feed the white meat chix or try stage 1 or 2 Gerber baby food, either chicken or beef, for a few days or until the tummy is healed.
You can ask the vet about using herbs such as red raspberry leaf, slippery elm, licorice root, peppermint - cats use infant recipes but your vet knows best.
Okay thanks, I think vomits another time I will take her to the vet. I might try the recipe too.

Winniethebullet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She threw up a tiny bit this morning about a quarter size. So I hope she can get better. The funny thing is she is completely happy and eating and drinking normally. After she threw up about 20 seconds later she brought me her ball so I could throw it for her.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent! She must have gotten into something that she should have left alone. Goodness knows, they can do it in a heartbeat, even fast than small children!

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats throwing up in the litter box. Can be because they are constipated. Does she get wet food or dry?

Winniethebullet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She eats dry food with wet food Saturday and Sunday. But I don't think that the problem she was retching outside of the litterbox but then she went into the litterbox and puked.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At least she is neat! I have to spend my Off-Line Sunday going over every inch of my floor to make sure there is no hair ball residue. I know there is one small patch on an area rug that will need a good shot of Resolve.