Is there a problem with introducing a male kitten to a female cat?

catsandkittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat at them moment who is female, 5 years old and has been neutered. I feel that I would love to give up my home for more felines, but how can I introduce them to Misty (my cat). I have researched kitten selling website and I have found 3 male kittens. 2 are being sold together, and 1 is being sold on its own. They are 12 and 14 weeks old. As they are all male I will have to get them neutered. These kittens are so cute, BUT IS THERE A PROBLEM WITH INTRODUCING A MALE KITTEN TO A FEMALE CAT?

What tips do you have for me, when introducing them to Misty, and how can I introduce them all to each other?

PLEASE REPLY ASAP! 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have read--but not experienced the 'pleasure' of introducing a male cat to a male cat, and vice versa. I have read that male/female combination is better than female/female. Now male/male: you might have an Alpha contest on your hands. Other people with more experience will no doubt reply.
Regarding introductions, here is an article about introducing cats to cats. And an article about choosing a second (or in your case, third, fourth) cat.
I would love another cat, but I know Ritz; she is a loner and wants to be number one in my life. So she as the resident cat gets the only vote. And frankly, I'm not sure I have the time for a second cat. I know hypothetically I would only take on one cat, never two or three, that's a lot for any cat to get use to.
Is there a reason you want to buy a kitten?
I would go to my local human society where there are LOTS of kittens, spayed/neutered already, and the volunteers there will have a sense of the personality of the cats, with no biases.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsandkittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want a kitten because I love cats!

Thank you for your reply and helpful advice! xxx I will have a look at the articles.

Last edited: