Is there a meaning to your cat's name?

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had a number of cats, but each one got a name for a reason:

Nym: he is a boy, but we thought he was a girl when we first got him and named him after the grace of a nymph (like in fairytales)

Tiger-tail: he has orange stripes on his tail

Pygmy: my little brother was really into the word Pygmy at the time, even though Pygmy himself wasn't small (he was bigger then most of our other cats

Scardy-Cat: she was so scared when we went to pick her up that we spent like half an hour searching for her at the farm. Now she is a lot calmer, but still shy

Mesa: he looked like a beautiful sandy desert (he was cream with classic tabby swirls)

Sugar and Ivory: born white but darkened into siamese as they aged

Ebony: a dark brown tabby

Millie and Billie: named after their aunt and uncle

Misty: had white swirls in her tabby coat

Puma: had eye markings similar to a cougar

Hope: nearly died as a baby

Miracle: did die and was revived

Nocturne: named after the Celtic Woman song. She is a beautiful black color, which makes me think of the name

Orange Cat and Black Cat: both strays that came around, hints the name

Pi: my brother can quote pi to like the 50th number, so we named the cat Pi

Spotty: bad name, I know, but he had spots as a baby. He was one of the kittens we raised that got adopted out

Lynx: looked like a Lynx when he was young

Twilight: a beautiful blue color when young

Oziana: based after the nickname for Australia  : )   When she was young she was Ozzie, but she turned out to be a girl

Smokey: a misty black color

Ollie: named after Marvel comics arrow

Bee: named after someone who helped bottle feed them when they were brought in to the shelter as orphans. I fostered her

Trouble: a noisy, squirmy little guy, his name sure fit him. 

We've had others before too, but these are the ones I remember best.

nicnack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty cats are named Milton and Oliver, after John Milton (author of Paradise Lost - or as we like to say, Puuuurrrradise Lost:) ) and Oliver Twist. I was a Literature major, and am an English teacher, so it made sense to name our cats based off of things that are pretty important to me, and my SO is super awesome about it and thought the names were cute, too.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful names/descriptions!

And your bro is very talented to be able to do that!  I thought your cat might have been named after the main character in a favorite film, "LIFE OF PI" which if you haven't seen, I recommend highly!

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Wonderful names/descriptions!

And your bro is very talented to be able to do that!  I thought your cat might have been named after the main character in a favorite film, "LIFE OF PI" which if you haven't seen, I recommend highly!
Thanks.   : )

I've seen it, very well done. Pi is a tough little cat. He is a stray that was hit by a car and so is partially blind, deaf and lame but still does well. Hopefully one day I can catch him to get him neutered, but for now I just offer him a warm, safe place with food and water.

pegasyss1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom named my cat Satan for her mean and agressive attitude, she is most of the time alone and attacks other cats that get near her, but I called her Navi at first because she was unsure of us first, but became very fond of us and a very curious kitten. She was abandoned by the kittens mom and we asked if we could adopt her :) Shortly after at 2 years she had beautiful kittens ( all of them are more than one year old and adopted ) We kept a black and white one and named him Tux. He is just like Navi except less aggressive. Since Tux was Navi's Son, we named him Lucipurr. ( cat pun of Lucifer, hah. ) 

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had one lovely girl, devoted to me for nearly 19 years, who was named Twitchy.  She showed up stray as a very small kitten, probably only 6 weeks old.  No one claimed her as theirs and she was our favourite colour, black, so she stayed.  But she was leery of my Mum (who loved cats and especially Twitch) and at first every sudden move Mum made the kitten would streak for safety.  Mum was exasperated at this, since she did love cats, and she turned one day and exclaimed, "That darn Twitchedy cat!"  And it stuck.  Twitchy.  Twitchie Witchie Pookie Wookins.  Twitchy Tickle Toes.  

Last edited:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  Miss Zander - We thought she was a boy at first and named him Alexander because it was a strong name and after all she had been through it was well deserved. When we found out he was actually a she we decided to keep it as Zander, now Miss Zander.

Luci-fur -  Her original name was Prim, from the Hunger Games because she was so small and dainty. She was sick when we rescued her but once she got well her full personality came out and she was a little devil, hence the name Luci-fur. It still fits.

Sammy is not longer with us but here is his story - He was given to me without a name and when we were deciding on one I just said Sammy and he looked at me and well it stuck. He always knew his name when I said it and would come to me.

Ghost & Raven RIP my beautiful boys - Ghost because he was solid white and Raven because he was solid black. Easy.

Last edited:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Boris was a Russian cat.  Boris is a good Russian name, I liked it and it fit him.

View media item 304914
Diamond was lying on my chest when I noticed his muzzle had a little bit of a Diamond on it.  He had been through several names and this one stuck.  He is brilliant and hard.  Hard-headed, anyway.
Seal is really Sammy the Seal.  I know someone who will be 90 on her next birthday.  She doesn't get much say in things and she really wanted me to name him Sammy.  Which triggered a memory of an old Disney piece called "Sammy the Way-Out Seal."  So he became Sammy the Seal. 

Leo is Russian also.  Leonid is his full name.  Also Leo means lion, and a little lion is what he is.

View media item 380201

Last edited:

lavendeer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted my first cat of my own. His name is Murdock. Its the one he came with but after doing a google search we have so far just decided its a reference to them A Team. He is 6 years old, neutered(SUPPOSEDLY  recently) and declawed. Him being declawed was not my choice and I think he still has his back claw but I know for sure the front is gone.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for declawing "not being my choice".  And thank for adopting an adult cat!  Murdock is VERY handsome.  I wish him a long, happy, healthy, LOVED and safe life with you! 

lavendeer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend adopted a cat too actually. She's a senior kitty, 10 years old, still has all her claws. Her name is Lily and she is hard to photograph but here's the only good pics I got. I'm not not 100% sure but I think she was a stray because what happened to her ear looks like a TNR cut cause it looks like too clean of a cut to be something else. I do know she is 15lbs and supposedly can't jump due to her age but I think she's just too chubby or maybe its arthritis.

itspursonal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Coconut - 2 to 3 years old. Amazingly behaved cat. Came into the shelter as a stray. I think her kittenhood might have been very positive because there is not an aggressive bone in this sweet heart. We named her Coconut because of her gorgeous fur.

Taz - 5 months old. Hyper as all hell and a pouncing, running disaster that becomes the sweetest kitten once he is worn out (  That takes ages). Oh, also a pretty rough playing little guy. Keep wiggly fingers away. I don't have experience with cats so I'm not sure if his unbounded confidence is just childish innocence, or his inner Taz. We named him after that cartoon.

Last edited:

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had more than a few cats that I have named. I have had two that came to me with their names and I just kept the names ( Remy & Milo) I named my first cat Ziggy(RIP) after David Bowie and Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. It fit him too as he was a tux with a big white zig zag down his face. Everyone thinks I named Leo(RIP) after Leo the Lion but, he was actually named after a professor I had that changed my life

My Desmond passed in November. I miss him so much, he was named after a character from the show 'Lost" I loved that show, I had tried many names for him but, none seemed to fit . The first time I called him Desmond he stopped what he was doing and looked at me, hopped into my lap and licked my face, he liked it and answered to it instantly.

My Farrah was named after Farrah Fawcett, not because I was a huge fan but because this long haired girl has a full blonde bib and the second I saw her the name came to mind. I tend to call her Farrah Diva and ,lol, sometimes Bueller ( Ferris Bueller) because while most of the time she is very elegant there are times she is a spaz.The lady I adopted her from was disappointed that I changed her name/ when she came into rescue this lady named her Venus ( because she is a love) I felt so bad having to change her name but, I have 4 sons 4 brothers and 4 nephews, I knew they would call her something that rhymed with Venus and I couldn't have that.

Big Jack is my newest guy , named simply because I loved the character Jack from 'Lost'. Yes, I am a huge fan of the show.