Is There A Difference In Behavior Between A Male And Female Cat?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two Ragdoll cats, one is male and the other is female. The male cat had been neutered a month ago. I have noticed the female to be more docile, quite, and low key. The male is more vocal, active, and shy. Is there really a difference in the sexes or it just comes down to individual personality with the individual cat? From the recent litter of kitten that I had, I am planning to keep one who happens to be male (I wanted to keep a female) who is the biggest and best color compared to the others. I am wishing he would have his mother's low key personality, but if it's a male thing, he will be like his father. Any opinions on this dynamic of the sexes?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally I think it's more down to the individual cat. I have 2 females. Lilith is older and can be very bossy. She's definitely an "alpha" cat. She doesn't care how big the other cat/dog is. She's the queen and that's that. She bosses me around too.. :lol:

The only one who seems to get immunity is her sister Sophie who has more of a tomboy attitude. She's very curious and is afraid of nothing. She also has no interest in stealing her sister's thunder which could be why she doesn't get picked on. They are not friends but they don't fight at all either.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also think it depends on the cat's personality. And, probably too, the environment in which they are living, i.e. single cat or multi-cat household, single person or family, indoor only or indoor/outdoor, etc.

Until more members reply, here's a TCS thread from way back in 2006 on the same topic: Male vs. Female cats

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a matter of survival females have to be better hunters to support their kittens, so they're generally sharper and more active. Tomcats only have to feed themselves and fight other toms, so they tend to be lazier to conserve energy when not fighting.

Other than that I think most differences are due to individual personalities, or the cultural conditioning of the owners.