Is tea tree poisonous?

millyanddaisy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sure I read on here that tea tree products are poisonous to cats - am I imagining things or not? I only ask because I was in the pet shop the other day, and they had on their shelves a bottle of shampoo "for dogs and cats" that contained tea tree oil. Please, if someone can confirm that it is not good for cats, I will go back to the shop & make a fuss about it, also I'll write to the manufacturers, but I wanted to check with all you experts before I get on my high horse about it.

Thanks,

Sue

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by millyanddaisy

I'm sure I read on here that tea tree products are poisonous to cats - am I imagining things or not? I only ask because I was in the pet shop the other day, and they had on their shelves a bottle of shampoo "for dogs and cats" that contained tea tree oil. Please, if someone can confirm that it is not good for cats, I will go back to the shop & make a fuss about it, also I'll write to the manufacturers, but I wanted to check with all you experts before I get on my high horse about it.

Thanks,

Sue
Unfortunately it is all too common to find pet products with Tea Tree oil in them. Yes, it is toxic to cats. Especially when taken internally which easily happens with a cat because they lick so much. Let me see if I can find the article I came across not long ago.