Is Spring Water Bad For Cats?

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has now entered his senior years.
I gave him Evian Spring water one day, about a month ago, and now it has turned into a daily habit of mine.
My cat seems to like it. Maybe even drinking more water.
Is Spring Water bad for cats?

Evian Water:
Here are the ingredients of this mineral water:
NUTRITION
Amount per ServingMy Daily Value
Calories 0Kcal0%
Calories from Fat 0Kcal0%
Total Fat 0g0%
Saturated Fat 0g0%
Trans Fat 0g0%
Cholesterol 0mg0%
Sodium 0mg0%
Total Carbohydrate 0g0%
Potassium 0mg0%
Dietary Fiber 0g0%
Sugars 0g0%
Protein 0g0%
Vitamin A 0IU0%
Vitamin C 0mg0%
Calcium 0mg0%
Iron 0mg0%
INGREDIENTS
water

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some spring water is high in minerals, so that some cats who have urinary issues can't tolerate it. Considering the large variation in tap water, I have no idea if it's better than your tap water or not. If he likes it, it's fine to give it to him, unless he develops problems from it.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found something called glacial water. I was doing the spring water but the glacial water is purified water with electrolytes added back in. I can't remember the exact brand. It has potassium, calcium, and magnesium in very small amounts, less than our hard tap water even. Wasn't even expensive and tasted pretty good.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Some spring water is high in minerals, so that some cats who have urinary issues can't tolerate it. Considering the large variation in tap water, I have no idea if it's better than your tap water or not. If he likes it, it's fine to give it to him, unless he develops problems from it.
In senior years it can be hard to keep cats eating and drinking enough so a little of what they like can be good. I think it is right to we wary of the mineral content, and the other thing I know can be a concern with bottled / mineral water is the sodium / salt content with some being very high. I see your Evian is listing 0 so trust this is corrent.
Worth chatting with your vet about it the next time you see them though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying. Reading every post and taking in all knowledge.
Going to keep checking back for additional posts.

Seems even spring water for humans there is alot of debate what's good,not so good.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked up Evian, and it does have dissolved minerals and calcium in it. Just very low amounts. So you apparently can't go by the labels, because the amount "per serving" is so low they don't have to report it. So I started looking up other bottled waters. They all have some degree of minerals. Otherwise they wouldn't taste good.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked up Evian, and it does have dissolved minerals and calcium in it. Just very low amounts. So you apparently can't go by the labels, because the amount "per serving" is so low they don't have to report it. So I started looking up other bottled waters. They all have some degree of minerals. Otherwise they wouldn't taste good.
Tap water does too. The exact level of minerals and stuff depends on your location. Only distilled water doesn't have any minerals, and many people think it's unhealthy to drink distilled water (even though that's what sailors drink when out to sea).

Honestly, try not to read too much about water or you might go crazy ;). There's a lot of weird info floating around. Is he doing well? OK there ya go :D.