Is Something Wrong?

le1112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently brought my cat, his litter box and his food and water upstairs and shut the door to the basement because my cat was staying downstairs supposedly after a mouse or pest if some sort. When i first brought him upstairs he sat by the door to the stairs and meowed want to go back down. eventually he settled down and ate his food but i noticed that he was under the couch. he’s been under there all day, he won’t even come out for treats. h had come out once to drink water then immediately go to the litter pan to pea. then went right back under the couch. he’s not purring and before the issue he always purred. he doesn’t want to be petted and has no interest in me or his scratching post or toys. just lays under the couch. what does this mean?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

le1112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
btw a friend of mine knows a veterinarian and suggested i bring him and his things upstairs

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bring him to the vet to see if he has some health issue first? If not, maybe he is just bored. As you said, he used to hunt in the basement, that means he was doing something entertaining all day. Now he is upstair and there is nothing to do. You can also provide him toys, a cat tree, a perching place by the window etc. in order to kill time. Any changes in the environment can cause stress in the cat. Cats are VERY attached to their territories. If the basement was his territory, then he will need sometime to adjust. Try to make the transition as easily as possible for him. Entertain him more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

le1112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bring him to the vet to see if he has some health issue first? If not, maybe he is just bored. As you said, he used to hunt in the basement, that means he was doing something entertaining all day. Now he is upstair and there is nothing to do. You can also provide him toys, a cat tree, a perching place by the window etc. in order to kill time. Any changes in the environment can cause stress in the cat. Cats are VERY attached to their territories. If the basement was his territory, then he will need sometime to adjust. Try to make the transition as easily as possible for him. Entertain him more.
he only started staying in the basement recently and he never caught anything( he doesn’t know how to hunt) he has toys and scratching posts and i’m home all day, he has no interest in these things. 2 weeks ago he was completely comfortable and stayed upstairs with me all day. now all of the sudden he does this. he doesn’t act nervous really just uninterested. i’ve had him since he was born and he is nine years old.