Is She Pregnant Or Not? Please Help Me Out

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've have had many ultrasounds and x-rays done on pregnant cats over the years. Although I like to do an x-ray within the last couple of weeks before birth, and it's nice to get the information, my belief is that the x-ray is not 100% necessary. Why?
  • An x-ray gives you a general idea of how many kittens she may be carrying, but the count of kittens is not always accurate, because you can't always see all the kittens or you may have trouble counting the skulls and spines because they overlap on x-ray. Often when I have a cat x-rayed before birth, all my vet can tell me for sure is that "there are at least two kittens."
  • Even if you know exactly how many kittens a cat is carrying, it doesn't necessarily change what you do. If, for example, you know that she is carrying two kittens, and one kitten is born, it can be normal for many hours, sometimes even days, to pass between the birth of the kittens. As long as she appears to be comfortable, you would normally simply wait for the second kitten to be born. You would go to the emergency vet if she is in prolonged active labor, or shows signs of distress or illness.
  • It's rare that a dead kitten causes an infection. Kittens that die in utero are usually expelled naturally by the body (or reabsorbed by the body if it happens early in pregnancy). If she develops an infection caused by retained material, you will generally see signs of illness and you would then take her to the emergency vet.
It is up to you whether you get an x-ray. Just be sure that you have emergency vet care available if she needs it.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know nothing about this but I’m curious so I thought I’d ask: is X-ray safe for pregnant cat? I know pregnant humans should avoid it at all costs and they’d rather get ultrasound. My sister needed to have X-ray while pregnant though and I remember they had to wait as far along as possible to minimize any exposure on foetus. But I see that’s the common practice so I’m thinking it cannot be too dangerous?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally you only do an x-ray towards the end of pregnancy, when the bones have developed enough to be visible. My understanding is that the risk to a fetus at that stage is low, as long as you don't do lots and lots of x-rays. X-ray is the best way of estimating litter size, size of kittens, and position of the kittens. If a cat is in prolonged active labor that is not progressing, it can be useful to do an x-ray to find out how the kittens are positioned and why they are not moving.

Ultrasound isn't a very good way of estimating litter size, but we do use ultrasound early in the pregnancy when bones would not yet be visible on x-ray, to determine whether a cat is indeed pregnant. Ultrasound is also useful to see if kittens are alive or dead, since you can see heartbeats.

This web page has a nice overview of different diagnostic methods used during feline pregnancy: Cat Pregnancy Diagnosis - A Complete Veterinary Guide.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are a couple of x-rays of one of my cats as an example... can you see the 3 kittens? (Click on the pictures to enlarge.) And a picture of one of my cats getting an ultrasound, so you can see how that works, too :)

IMG_20180203_110533-2.jpg IMG_20180203_110540-3.jpg
IMG_0396_20190224_185918.jpg

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Normally you only do an x-ray towards the end of pregnancy, when the bones have developed enough to be visible. My understanding is that the risk to a fetus at that stage is low, as long as you don't do lots and lots of x-rays. X-ray is the best way of estimating litter size, size of kittens, and position of the kittens. If a cat is in prolonged active labor that is not progressing, it can be useful to do an x-ray to find out how the kittens are positioned and why they are not moving.

Ultrasound isn't a very good way of estimating litter size, but we do use ultrasound early in the pregnancy when bones would not yet be visible on x-ray, to determine whether a cat is indeed pregnant. Ultrasound is also useful to see if kittens are alive or dead, since you can see heartbeats.

This web page has a nice overview of different diagnostic methods used during feline pregnancy: Cat Pregnancy Diagnosis - A Complete Veterinary Guide.
Thanks so much youve been helping out a lot!!.
Think I'm gonna wait it out and not give her any possible stress. I do have emergency vets availeble if anythinh goes wrong. Been reading and youtubing a lot. This is how her belly looks now. I think she's not that big.
20190320_003129.jpg
20190320_003129.jpg
20190320_003123.jpg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An emergency vet makes all the difference. Go on and get the kitten supplies - kmr, bottles, syringes. If you have them you probably won't need them, if you don't.... You'll want to give mom some kmr everyday while she's nursing anyway. Such a pretty lady.

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An emergency vet makes all the difference. Go on and get the kitten supplies - kmr, bottles, syringes. If you have them you probably won't need them, if you don't.... You'll want to give mom some kmr everyday while she's nursing anyway. Such a pretty lady.
Thank you! Got the kmr in last tuesday and got 1 ml syringes to start of with. Also ordered some botles but theyre not in yet. I havent opened the kmr yet wanter to try and give her some today. Didnt want to open too early finding out she wouldnt like it and the powder getting spoiled. She doesnt like catmilk also so kinda curious if she would like the kmr. But everything is ready for her. Got the scale a note pad gloves towels heathpads and so and so set up her. Gues its just a waiting game now and getting more nervous/curious by the day. I feel bad for her reminding me of myself beeing 9 months preg

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ooh before i forget! I also been giving her this nutri gel for cats (been giving that for 7 weeks now). On the description it saids its used and good for pregnant and lactating moms and also young animals growing up. I was wondering is anyone known with this product? Do you think i could give it to new
20190322_144900.jpg
born kittens? Or better not? Also got some benebac for the kittens does anyone have experiance with that?
20190322_144943.jpg

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oke guys!!!! I just noticed her "lady parts" are looking a bit opened up or something. Kinda hard to describe but it looks like a bit more open than usual. I wanted to take a picture for you guys but all of a sudden she bit me.. wich she really never does.. is that normal? She doesnt seem in pain or anything and i dont think shes having contractions. Her milk also is not in yet..

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine where everyone who knows about this is. Did you call your vet?

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
QUOTE="lutece, post: 4880020, member: 10016026"]How is she doing today?[/QUOTE]
Well today shes on day 64 if i count from the first mating.. no baby's yet.. a friend of mine brought her cat the same time to that breeding male as i brought my cat and her cat had 5 kittens yesterday and she didnt notice anything on her cat before. I didnt sleep last night at all! Scared i would miss the birth. There are maybe little signs like restless bit extra sleepy wanting to stay with me all the time. I think there is a teeny tiny bit of brownish discharge but nothing much. Kittens seem dropped i think.. i dont know just waiting...

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Woke up this morning to .... nothing lol.. thought she was having some pre labour contractions last night.. dont know if i was just imagening because i wanted it so badly.. but she seemed a bit uncomfertable felt her belly tightning a few times and she trembled her leg once.. i don't know..

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay soo i have a question.. today my cat is suddenly very active and more like herself as in before the pregnancy. During the last weeks she didnt go upstairs just beeing lazy and sleeping in one of her beds. But today shes all active and upstairs in de hallway and on the stairs and stuf. There are no beds for her there she just sitting on the carpet.. is that some kind of indication something is happening?

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well update since nobody answered my question i will answer myself.. she gave birth last night (its now 08.45 in the morning in holland) . It was a really difficult birth for my baby she had some troubles getting the first one out. She had 2 beautiful healthy babies. Both lilac. I was so scared im happy theyre out. Uhff

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she had trouble with the birth, be sure to take her and the kittens to the vet and have her checked out. If she's damaged, she could die.

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she had trouble with the birth, be sure to take her and the kittens to the vet and have her checked out. If she's damaged, she could die.
She's not damaged she's fine. No troubles for now.