Is She Just A Mutt?

blackcatappreciation2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a kitten from the humane society last October. Pretty cute. I think she's probably just a mutt with no discernible breed, but then once in a while I'll read a breed description and think she fits it too closely.

She is jet black with yellow/green eyes. She is small (runt), but muscular and feels heftier than she looks. She has sleek fur that stays close to her body and round-shaped eyes. Her personality is very extroverted and she loves to be around people. She constantly wants to be on a lap or have someone play with her. She is extremely playful and energetic, never stopping except when to eat. And she talks to everything.

I don't know if she has anything in her at all or is just a mutt descended from mutts, or if she may have a Bombay somewhere in her ancestry.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful! I would describe her as a black domestic shorthair. Black cats are so pretty :)

People with black cats often wonder if their cat is part Bombay, but that is a very rare breed with a more rounded head and body type. I'm not seeing Bombay influence in your cat. Most cats are not any particular breed. In addition, unlike dogs, most cats also aren't "mixed breed" or "mutts." The vast majority of cats are simply domestic shorthairs or longhairs. Purebred and mixed breed cats are only a tiny minority of all cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blackcatappreciation2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I figured as much. I asked my vet if she could determine anything and she only responded that she determined Anna was cute. My other cat (profile pic) is a true mixed breed, as her mother was full Siamese.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's an excellent response from your vet. I agree she is cute! :)