Is she actually a black domestic shorthair cat?

Snopes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am fostering to adopt this 4.5 week old female kitten (still working on a name, got her this weekend) and I am trying to figure out if she’s actually black.

When I saw her at the shelter she looked like a black cat but the lighting wasn’t great. Now that I have seen her in different lighting I can’t tell if she’s black or not.

Will her coat change as she ages and get darker maybe? Her eyes are gorgeous and I am sure they’ll change but not sure to what color since they’re so bright.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Attachments

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She looks black to me, with the black coat it can look different in different light. Also certain things can cause the coat to look more reddish brown like sitting in the sun a lot as well as lacking certain nutrients in the diet can cause it too, and kitten coats tend to be lighter and will darken with age.

I would guess her eyes will be green when they are done changing, all kittens have blue eyes when born but they start to change to their adult color between 4-8 weeks old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snopes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She looks black to me, with the black coat it can look different in different light. Also certain things can cause the coat to look more reddish brown like sitting in the sun a lot as well as lacking certain nutrients in the diet can cause it too, and kitten coats tend to be lighter and will darken with age.

I would guess her eyes will be green when they are done changing, all kittens have blue eyes when born but they start to change to their adult color between 4-8 weeks old.
Had no idea about the Sun changing the color! That’s good to know. She’s been in a shelter and now she’s in our bathroom so not in the sun a lot but I will keep that in mind! I keep thinking of names that go with the “black cat” theme but I wasn’t sure she was actually black. She was on Hills at the shelter and I have been changing her over to Tiki and Weruva with some KMR since I feel like they stopped too soon (they stopped bottle feeding her two days before I walked into the shelter). Hopefully she’s good on nutrients but I will keep an eye on that too. Thank you!

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Few cats actually show true black ( brownish is common as mentioned by Amethyst) in the sunlight, but are still considered black. So keep considering those "black cat" names!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snopes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Few cats actually show true black ( brownish is common as mentioned by Amethyst) in the sunlight, but are still considered black. So keep considering those "black cat" names!
Thank you! My only memory of a black cat was my Alistair but he was 6 months when I got him and always looked jet black. Took me five years to finally get another cat again and I really wanted a black one. But she’s perfect regardless

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd agree with the other posters that she's a black domestic shorthair. She's adorable! I'm so glad that you found another black cat when you were ready. Black cats are often overlooked at shelters, so it's always nice to hear from someone who appreciates these little house panthers. 🥰

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Black domestic shorthair with a little chest locket :D
She'll get darker as she matures, the locket will probably always be there.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Had no idea about the Sun changing the color! That’s good to know. She’s been in a shelter and now she’s in our bathroom so not in the sun a lot but I will keep that in mind! I keep thinking of names that go with the “black cat” theme but I wasn’t sure she was actually black. She was on Hills at the shelter and I have been changing her over to Tiki and Weruva with some KMR since I feel like they stopped too soon (they stopped bottle feeding her two days before I walked into the shelter). Hopefully she’s good on nutrients but I will keep an eye on that too. Thank you!
My cat Maggie is black with grey stripes. I had a hard time thinking of a name so I went through the alphabet