Is she a Maine Coon

rclemmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Gemma looks like a Maine Coon.  I think she is but want to know if she shares genetic markers with that breed.  Do you think it is worth it to pay for the testing?

I might not because it's pretty expensive.  Does anyone else think she looks like a Maine Coon?

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I might not because it's pretty expensive.  Does anyone else think she looks like a Maine Coon?
Nay, I dont think so.  What for?    If you would suspect some disease typical for MCO, but none others, and it was difficult to diagnostise, yes, it could be worth it.

Her having some MCO ancestry is quite possible, but she is not as stunning look alike you it will matter anywhere.

Even with a positive test, you cant call her for a MCO...

Possibly if you wanted to pay a Show judge to deem her, alike is done for Novices, yes, perhaps.

But this is theoretically, I dont think any registry is open for MCO novices.  Anyways, she wouldnt be admitted - our theoretical Novice is admitted ONLY if she is deemed as a potential positive contribution to the breed.   Never just because she is a somewhat look alike.

Be happy with your loved kitty, and forget about any trying to pinpoint an exact breed.   She is she, and usually its more than enough.   :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rclemmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know she isn't huge and doesn't have the tufted points on her ears.  I am happy with the little brat none the less :)  She loves sitting with us at dinner and begging for food with her fuzzy mitt paw and cleaning my hair and rubbing her face all over my head.  She likes to lay on her back and show her curly fuzz tummy.  She does that a lot at dinner time also.  It's like she is saying, "look, I'm cute, give me a morsel!"  Her lonely trill sounds like that of a Maine Coon.  She's quite the brat though.  She loves to chase my other cats, she has needle-like claws and teeth, she HATES grooming of any kind.  Like a bratty little toddler.  But, she gives little lick kisses and purrs when I pick her up.  She isn't a lap cat but will lay with you at her choosing.  I love her, no doubt about that!