Is She A Bengal?

loreleikitti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_5090.JPG
This is Lori, we got her in February when she was around 3 months old, for about 200 dollars. The seller had bought her from a breeder, that stated that Lori was an F3 bengal. My dad drove almost out of state to get her, and once he got her the person selling her to us gave us an envelope, containing two things: A little paper that listed all her vaccinations and other medical things, and a packet that included some sort of contract which stated that Lori should not be let out, or allowed to get pregnant, and some other things. But, since she got rehomed the whole thing is voided. Anyways, her markings seem to be very faint. Was this a scam or maybe she has a distant Bengal ancestor ?? Thanks

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not seeing any Bengal in her- she doesn't have the distinctive markings and her body type is different- Bengals are more lean and muscular, with a smaller head. She is a beauty, regardless! And you did end up paying far less than the pedigree price, which would be at least $1000.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is a spotted tabby so she does have something :)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Newmel82 Newmel82 - I don't see any Bengal influence, and - personal opinion only - with the broad-set, swept back ears and rounded tips, I'd say your kitties looks more resemble a Bahraini Dilmun:

upload_2017-12-21_23-37-46.jpeg

than an Egyptian Mau - but in kittenhood, with features not yet grown into, it's difficult to say. One thing is clear - the spots are just that - spots, and not interrupted stripes.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine, is your cat a Ragdoll with a blaze or medium hair Siamese?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh? Interesting! It must be related to the Siamese as the Ragdolls are, I think. It has gorgeous eyes!!!

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Ragdoll is a solid white, only accepted as a pure Ragdoll through TICA.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Newmel82 Newmel82 - I don't see any Bengal influence, and - personal opinion only - with the broad-set, swept back ears and rounded tips, I'd say your kitties looks more resemble a Bahraini Dilmun:

View attachment 210888

than an Egyptian Mau - but in kittenhood, with features not yet grown into, it's difficult to say. One thing is clear - the spots are just that - spots, and not interrupted stripes.
Great observation as always, 1CatOverTheLine! Bahraini Dilmun hadn’t crossed my mind. But I agree with you that the resemblance is greater than with an EMau.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
abyeb abyeb - Thanks!

10009891 10009891 - Snowshoes began in the 1950s - Siamese crossed by Domestic Shorthairs; the program was abandoned, and picked up by Dorothy Hinds-Dougherty in the early 1960s. There's a recent thread, started by @lavishsqualor here:

Feral Snowshoe?

which gives a bit of history. As to the CFA not accepting mink and white Ragdolls, it's strictly political. TICA has it right - they should, by rights, be shown as Ragdolls. Post #10 here has a bit of Ragdoll history which will bear this out:

14 Week Old Ragdoll

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had spoken with a Ragdoll breeder after I purchased my solid white Ragdoll and she insisted that Ragdolls are not solid colors or minks. That I was sold an outcross just because it wasn't registered CFA. I saw the parents papers, the mother was a solid white Ragdoll and the father was a blue point Ragdoll. They were registered at TICA, SBT (3rd generation Ragdolls). She argued with me saying she's been a Ragdoll breeder for over 20 years. I called TICA directly and confirmed with them that I was sold a Ragdoll, not an outcross.