Is salmon baked in a little olive oil with no other spices or condiments alright for a cat?

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,can anyone help me to understand if I can give my 2 year old cat some baked salmon which has been baked in olive oil and nothing else added. I really want him to try salmon, but I don't want to make him feel bad or sick.thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I feed Feeby a bite or two of salmon every time we have it. Every cat is different, so anything in terms of an allergic reaction is always possible, but I don't see why you can't try it once. If there is no type of reaction, you are probably good to give him a bite or so when you prepare it for yourself.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also give our cats small pieces of cooked salmon that only has olive oil. They love it, no problems so far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sivyaleah,thank you very much!

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On a related note, how often is it ok to feed fish treats? My cat loves those Tiki Broths, most of all the salmon ones but I know fish heavy diets aren’t good for cats. Would once a week be too much?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On a related note, how often is it ok to feed fish treats? My cat loves those Tiki Broths, most of all the salmon ones but I know fish heavy diets aren’t good for cats. Would once a week be too much?
In my personal opinion, no - once a week wouldn't be considered an issue by me.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello,can anyone help me to understand if I can give my 2 year old cat some baked salmon which has been baked in olive oil and nothing else added. I really want him to try salmon, but I don't want to make him feel bad or sick.thank you!
You can also poach salmon in plain water and give that as a treat. Or buy a can of salmon from the supermarket. Be sure to only buy one that doesn't contain oil or flavorings or anything. The brand I buy sometimes is salmon in water with a little salt.

Or buy cat treats that are 100% freeze dried salmon.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my personal opinion, no - once a week wouldn't be considered an issue by me.
I think the salmon treat would be a special occasion, like once every 2-3 weeks,and I don't want to feed him from my plate or get him used to thinking he can have some of my food whenever I eat.I've never feed him from my plate. He's really good about not begging when I eat,although he will smell the air and look at me,but then he walks away.

The idea about poached salmon sounds nice! Thank you😊

KimBelden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would limit fish to once a week unless the pieces are extremely tiny.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you 😊 that sounds like good advice! I want to make the salmon, it's just been so hot where I live! I would probably have to bake it at this point, I don't have a poacher, but I can look into poaching the salmon.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A pot or shallow sided wide pan will work. Just cover the salmon piece (if you have a whole fillet, just cut off enough to poach and offer to your cat) with enough water and gently simmer it until done. You can also steam the salmon in plain water.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! That sounds like something I could do 😊

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course the easiest way to try salmon without cooking or paying a lot is to buy a can from the supermarket. Set a portion aside for the cat and you can eat the rest. I buy this brand sometimes:

It's just salmon and salt and water. I buy the 7.5 oz can but there is a smaller 3.75 oz can.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That looks great! Thank you! I guess I would still cook it?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The canned salmon? No, it's already cooked :) No different than a can of tuna. Just open and eat. You'll find canned salmon right next to the canned tuna. If Rubinstein's isn't available at your supermarket, another brand will work. Just check the ingredients to make sure it's just salmon and water, maybe salt.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh! 😊 that is a good idea and something I will do.The first day I took him in I had no cat food,because I don't have any other cats,so I gave him some albacore tuna which he really loved.Then I read somewhere that chunk light tuna is better for cats than albacore. I didn't know.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
An alternative to canned salmon (one that--around here--is certainly more economical at under $3 for a 15 oz can) is California Girl canned (Pacific) Mackerel.

My cat will eat anything, but Desmond loves his Mackerel.

Mackeral.png

I typically limit the amount of fish I serve, so will serve a portion and then gently break up the rest to individually freeze on a tray with wax paper (zip locking once frozen solid). I'll also dilute the juice and freeze that in an ice tray before ziplocking (as the gently warmed Mackerel juice gets lapped up greedily as a between meal hydrating "snack").

Bill

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Bill! That sounds like a great idea! I appreciate it,and the omega 3 is probably fantastic for them😊

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Bill! That sounds like a great idea! I appreciate it,and the omega 3 is probably fantastic for them😊
And the Mackerel is nice and stinky (fishy). My human family is--luckily for me--one of those oddball units that enjoys Omega-3 rich oily fish, so I will make pasta sauces and the like with the California Girl Mackerel and also the same brands Sardines in Tomato Sauce.

Desmond licks his chops after a meal with Mackerel.

Bill