Is Raw Food Necessary???

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you choose not to, you are also fine because in that sense you're going with current scientific consensus.
I didn't realize that scientists have a consensus that raw feeding is bad? Why would they reach such a consensus when there hasn't even been enough work done on the topic? That would be pretty irresponsible of scientists to reach a consensus based only on minimal research.

Let's not confuse conventional vets reaching a consensus with scientists reaching a consensus. Not the same thing.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There aren't many actual studies on raw food that I've found. Could you like a few of those links please? I try to read everything I can find on cat nutrition, which to your point, most info is anecdotal. Most proponents of a raw diet are steadfast simply because of the results we see with our own cats.
The avma has links to scientific papers on their position statement.
Raw or Undercooked Animal-Source Protein in Cat and Dog Diets
The AVMA goes with whatever current evidence leads towards, but even raw is still an area needing further research imo before completely ruling it out or in.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't realize that scientists have a consensus that raw feeding is bad? Why would they reach such a consensus when there hasn't even been enough work done on the topic? That would be pretty irresponsible of scientists to reach a consensus based only on minimal research.

Let's not confuse conventional vets reaching a consensus with scientists reaching a consensus. Not the same thing.
That's not what scientific consensus is. Scientific consensus isn't a bunch of scientists deciding something or agreeing on something. Its just whatever the current bulk of science indicates. While research in cat nutrition is relatively small, its big enough to draw conclusions in a few areas. But scientific consensus changes as more studies are performed. The more studies, the stronger the consensus and the less likely it is to change.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The consensus from the AVMA is unlikely to change its attitude against raw food for pets. The pet feed industry funds most feeding studies and any studies which may find raw food to be good for pets run counter to their profit interests. The small group of holistic vets and mom&pop raw food companies can't match those funds to run independent studies (plus their own studies would be skewed in favor of raw). If I'm paying a marketing research company (or a group of scientists) hoping to find that my pet food brand is supreme, then that research company or group will word questions or skew data so that my pet food is supreme. ...as long as someone else isn't paying more money to come to different conclusions. People like their paychecks.

I expect that the number of people feeding a raw diet will continue to grow based on anecdotal evidence and word of mouth.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The consensus from the AVMA is unlikely to change its attitude against raw food for pets. The pet feed industry funds most feeding studies and any studies which may find raw food to be good for pets run counter to their profit interests. The small group of holistic vets and mom&pop raw food companies can't match those funds to run independent studies (plus their own studies would be skewed in favor of raw). If I'm paying a marketing research company (or a group of scientists) hoping to find that my pet food brand is supreme, then that research company or group will word questions or skew data so that my pet food is supreme. ...as long as someone else isn't paying more money to come to different conclusions. People like their paychecks.

I expect that the number of people feeding a raw diet will continue to grow based on anecdotal evidence and word of mouth.
There's a lot I want to address here, but I think we're getting a bit off topic. I'm not saying that raw food is bad, or that any food system is better; this isn't a discussion about how nutrition is studied. I was just bringing up current literature and recommendations and trying to point out to OP that they should simply use their own discretion and not feel guilty for whichever choice they make. They should just choose whichever feeding system works best for them and their cat and use their own personal discretion.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not what scientific consensus is. Scientific consensus isn't a bunch of scientists deciding something or agreeing on something. Its just whatever the current bulk of science indicates. While research in cat nutrition is relatively small, its big enough to draw conclusions in a few areas. But scientific consensus changes as more studies are performed. The more studies, the stronger the consensus and the less likely it is to change.
My point is that there isn’t enough research on the topic of raw food for there to be a consensus at this point. The evidence is inconclusive.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My point is that there isn’t enough research on the topic of raw food for there to be a consensus at this point. The evidence is inconclusive.
I don't know about that, but again, that's getting off topic. The point is that it's not required that someone feed raw. If OP wants to feed raw or doesn't want to feed raw, as long as the diet is balanced they should just go with whatever is better for them. There is debate about all the diets, so they should primarily focus on what works for their cat and lifestyle and not feel bad if they don't follow what one nutritionist says since another nutritionist will probably say something entirely different. That's the point I was trying to get at.