Is Plague Off Powder Safe For Cats

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I posted awhile ago that my part Siamese girl had lost a tooth and the vet wants me to put Oravet Gel on her teeth and gums once a week. This has not been going well. I had to approach her from the side with the applicator and this results in most of the gel getting on her face. When I tried to lift her lip she opens her mouth and the remaining gel goes anywhere but on the teeth and gums. This is all while she is trying to get away. I don't have enough hands and need to be careful about hanging on to her neck and head. A helper would really freak her out. We are definitely not giving up on this but I was wondering about using Plague Off Powder in her raw food as something to keep up with her teeth while we figure out the gel routine.

It got really good reviews but some folks were saying that it contains iodine which would not be good for the cat's thyroid. Others have said they have been using it for years with no problems. My vet cleaned my girl's teeth, pulled one and then ran off for a 3 week vacation. So, has anyone used this product and what is your take on the seaweed & iodine?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few years ago there was some discussion here about using it for stomatitis. At that time it was difficult to get it here in the U.S. so I don't know if anyone used it or not. People in Europe did seem to have some success with it. It does have a lot of iodine in it because it is made from seaweed but the only thing I remember is that it shouldn't be used in a hyperthyroid cat.