Is Our Cat Nuerotic Or Just Hygene Aware...?

skarecrow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Several years ago, my mothers cat (who always sits on the vanity while we ready our faces for the day) leaned into the basin while the faucet was trickling whilst I brushed me teeth and rolled his head around under the water tilhe was, well, quite soaked. I initially discouraged him, but after days of relentless ploys and maneuvers to get under the tap, we gave it and started him a morning ritual wherein we use a mister, spray bottle for damping hair, and his brush, and basically bathe him. Every morning....everyday...same @$#&ing time as he will sit atop and glower til someone gives in. HE DECIDES when he's clean, usually 5ish to ten minutes.... jumps down, parks near the balcony and licks in typical grooming fashion til he nods off.
The question, is several days ago my mother mentioned it to a fellow cat owner who was horrified and chastised all morning.
Is this bad practise?

Kori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my experience (I have 6 cats), each animal has their own personality and certain quirks or traits! There’s nothing wrong with a cat having a soak of it feels so inclined! Some cats really enjoy it and will plonk thenselves in waters way regukarly, see YouTube for adorable videos!
One of mine must be cradled like a baby each night before he’ll go to sleep. Another refuses to drink from any of the 6 kitty water fountains we have dotted about and instead requires we put the bath on for her.

Enjoy the quality time your cats habit gives you together, I’d onky be concerned if he became unable to groom and clean himself completely. X

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skarecrow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
=)
well notably you have me out-catted so I will take this as sage advice.

Kori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Out catted maybe, but I imagine with less cats, you’re winning the sanity battle! x

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

There's nothing at all wrong with bathing/grooming your boy in this way, especially as he enjoys it so much. All cats have their own quirks, and some are quirkier than others :winkcat: Two of mine absolutely adore water....to the point where one emptied the dog's water bowl onto the the floor, and proceeded to have a water fight with his brother! They were scooping up pawfulls of water and throwing it at each other like little kids :rolleyes: :lol: They both love playing in the bathtub too, but only if it's wet...they're clearly water babies!

There is an unfortunate (and counterproductive) practice of using spray bottles of water to 'discipline' pet cats. Whilst it's very clear to me that you're not using the spray bottle in this manner, I do wonder if your mom's friend got the wrong end of the stick, and thought you were using the spray bottle in this negative way.

Your cat clearly lives a life of luxury, and is lucky to have such a wonderful home :cutecat: