Is one cat enough?

krazy kat woman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Come along fellow fur worshipers. I would like pros and cons as to whether one cat is enough or if he needs a friend.

Jake is a 6 year old rescue cat that we've had since September.

He doesn't like going out and is a totally scaredy cat with strangers, i.e. hides upstairs until they've gone. People often don't believe I have a cat! But he doesn't fight with any of the many neighbour cats, even when they break in and pinch his biscuits!

He used to live with another cat and I can't decide whether he really enjoys having our undivided attention or if he's missing a buddy.

What does everyone think?

Thanks

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
2 is always better than one in my opinion!
Get him a friend. Not only will he have a baby, but you'll be giving another baby a great home.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the cat.

If the cat gets along with others, as it sounds like this one was since he was already kitty socialized, then the advantage is companionship when you are out and they can keep each other more active and thus healthy. Also usually means less harassment at night or when you're busy, since they can give up and just play w/ each other provided they have food, and its super cute when they are snuggling together or grooming each other and play wrestling. Two cats also means that even when one isn't in the mood for schmoozeling, the other likely is when you're receptive. And of course you are saving another kitty.

Some downsides are that introducing a new cat requires effort, and there is the risk of the new cat not being socialized towards other cats, or if they are far apart in age difference then say a kitten annoying your existing cat with a mismatched energy level. Two kitties can share most things, but do use more litter, more food, and more vet costs. Not as easy to monitor exact food/water intake or know whose stools are whose for managing health, but not a serious challenge. Worst case scenario with a bad match, the kitties can just end up stressing each other out rather than being friends.

Overall though, I'm definitely a strong proponent of two kitty households, and your cat is already used to other kitties when younger, so I give it the thumbs up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krazy kat woman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys. I now just need to convince hubby!!! I do keep pointing out potential kitties on the rescue centre website but he's not biting yet.

I'll keep at him though.

I guess we're so interactive with Jake, I play with him in the morning and in the evening and we have such fun that I don't want to spoil that relationship. But, sometimes, especially when I'm going to work, he sits down and looks really pigged off at being left on his own.

He sleeps downstairs in the living room. Only because he was freaking hubby by either wanting to sleep on his pillow or sitting staring at him while he slept! So, again, that's when I think he misses company.

Thanks for your comments and I'll keep you posted.

KKW

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best of luck!

What age and gender kitty were you looking at as a homeslice for Jake?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krazy kat woman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hadn't thought about gender too much but I'd thought a friend of a similar age or slightly older. Hopefully he won't be too threatened by that.

The last cat he lived with must have been got from a kitten and was 2 when they went into care. I did wonder about taking them both but she got snapped up quite quickly as she was a pretty little black and white.

Jake is a big boy, weighing approx 5 kilos. Plus he's got a funny deformed tooth which gives him the cutest expressions!

When I look at him the first thing that pops into my head is "what dignity". He is a majestic looking cat, apart from when he's skidding across the room chasing a feather and doing somersaults!

I must admit I would like another tabby. We are surrounded by gingers and black and whites. They all seem to be long haired too.

KKW

erinroro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think 2 cats is the answer! A way to bring it up to hubby is that the 2 kitties will play together during the day, and then Jake (and other kitty) will sleep better at night.... He will probably want to sleep next to his buddy, and won't try to sleep on hubby's pillow!!!!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Krazy Kat Woman

But, sometimes, especially when I'm going to work, he sits down and looks really pigged off at being left on his own.
I hear you! I almost can't live with myself for the looks that Holland gives me when I am getting ready for work...
She is a scaredy-cat too, and I am the only human she will let near her, but she was living in a room full of cats when I adopted her from the shelter, so I know she's had past experience with other kitties. As soon as my living and financial situations allow it, she will have a brother or sister, whether she likes it or not!
(Though I'm sure she will love the company when I'm at work all day).

Good luck!

ETA: I would love to see pictures of Jake. Your descriptions of him are fabulous!

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kitties are loners but your kitty sounds social so I bet he'd just love it if he had a sibling

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 is never enough! I never could make my mother understand that, which is why
Lynxx
wound up a loner for 9 years.

Since your cat has been with other cats, and doesn't fight with them. That might be a good sign that he'd be open to the idea of having a friend or 2

Based on how things went for me, I'd suggest getting a cat around the same age as your cat. Or 2 kittens.

The pros of having more than 1: More furry friends to play with and love. More furry friends to love you. They occupy each other so you don't have to constantly keep them occupied. They are company for each other when they are home alone.

The cons of having more than 1: You need to have money for the vet, especially if things happen to 2 or more cats at the exact same time. (that happened to us.
Lynxx
sick and dying. Midnight getting a cold, Luna getting Luxating Patella. There were times back in November that we were up at the vets 2-3 times a day, with 3 different cats!) (Also problems back to back with different cats.
Lynxx
died, a week later Midnight caught a cold, and had Struvite Crystals, a couple of weeks after that Luna's legs were bothering her even more, then Midnight hurt his paw, and had to have surgery) so you really need to have back up money incase of an emergency. Food is a problem with mine someone literally has to stand over Midnight and watch him while they eat, otherwise he'll push Luna out of the way eat her food on her, she won't fight back, she'll just sit there and let him. Also if 1 cat needs a certain food, and the others don't. Plus if 1 get's sick the others can catch it. We luck out with Luna and Midnight, they play very rough, but they don't really fight each other. They will fight each when I'm making their food, or if 1 is laying where the other 1 wants to lay, they'll fight then.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you think he'd do well w/ another cat, since he's lived with them in the past, I think he would do fine. Some cats need to be only kitties, as they do not like others.

I wouldn't worry too much about sex - male or female really truly doesn't matter. I know some people think it does, but you never know - if you're dead set on a certain sex you may look past your purrfect match. I definitely suggest going about the same age, try to match energy levels/purrsonalities as best you can.