Is My Spayed Cat Pregnant?

Cohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so I fostered this 7 mo old kitten. Fell in love w her.. had her spayed. But shortly after her bk 2 mammary glands started to swell. She’s now at the adoption charity center & I went & visited her today (b/c i miss her terribly) and she looks pregnant! Her abdomen looks swollen, still enlarged mammary (like they contain milk), her other nipples are padded. I kept asking the tech... I think she’s pregnant! I couldn’t stop saying that. But she reassured me that it was just balancing hormones bc she was a little pregnant when she was spayed. Idk,. I’ve combed the Internet & I see a lot of false pregnancy info but usually the cat has not been altered. I even called the vet & she said “there’s no way she can be pregnant bc she does not have the anatomy.. & to bring her in bc it was a bit ‘atypical’”. So what does this sound like anything you know about? I’ve been struggling w a decision about adopting her out but I don’t want kittens if there was some fluke. I had her 33 days as a foster.. it would 63 days (I counted, if the vet didn’t do her spay correctly or at all). Last thing... I did take her to the clinic & picked her up she was drugged fm anthesisa & she had an incision.. but I’m seriously baffled. They are free feeding her which I was upset about that.. bc I only fed her 1/4 c x2 daily.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the clinic has many spayings similtaneoisly it happens once on a while they miss somebody. So be prepared and wait out the delivery time...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just don’t why she’d was drugged & had an incision.. on her paper work it says “spay w pregnancy no complications”

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. Still as the proverb says: hope for the best but be prepared...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why don’t you bring her home and see what happens?

It’s possible it is just her hormones if she was spayed at nearly a full-term pregnancy.

Also, 1/4 cup 2x per day is not enough food for a growing kitten.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think too it is hormones, they may take at least 6 weeks to settle down. She had the hormones already in her body when spayed. Yes, I always free feed kittens until they are one year old. Most of my adult cats free feed too. I think it depends on how active they are. Kittens use a tremendous amount of energy and need lots of calories and nutrition to grow right. It should not be curtailed.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I very highly doubt she is pregnant. If she had an incision, then I don’t know how they could have messed up or accidentally not spayed her. In a spay surgery, they remove the entire uterus. There is no possible way she could be pregnant without a uterus.

I think it’s the hormones. There is also such thing as a false pregnancy so if she gets bigger you may want to look into that.

Free feeding is ok for a cat under 1 year old. I usually free feed my cats until they are full grown because they need a lot of nutrients while growing. Then I feed meals when they are full grown to avoid them becoming overweight.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not pregnant, but you never know! Weird things happen! But I also agree that is not enough food for a growing kitten. She should be free fed kitten food, so perhaps she is now eating more and plumped up. That would be my guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update ... Suzy was adopted April 15th.. by couple. They have another cat & they get a long well. They said she was doing great but still has a tummy (swollen lower abdomen).. perhaps it’s just fat as she loves to eat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the update! it is so nice to get good news. Many cats get that 'pouch' underneath as they get older, even males. I have two that don't and two that do. They look like nursing moms, but they are boys! You will be blessed for caring for these little ones, keep in touch!