Is My Ragdoll Hair Still Growing?

110766xuyifei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. So this is my ragdoll Snowball. Snowball is current 7 month old and really lovely and playful. I am feeding her really healthy and natural wet and dry food. I am just wondering if her hair is still growing? Because I think her hair is kind of short compare to other ragdolls. Her hair on her tail is incredibly long and there is a little bit of hair extended on her ears. Here is some photos that might be helpful when I was reading other threads. Thank you for reading and helping.

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_2995.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

110766xuyifei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ragdolls are longhaired:

Snowshoes are shorthaired:

First of all, I really appreciate your help!! I just googled Snowshoe and it seems like my cat has longer hair than snowshoe photos online and also her tail is way more fluffier than snowshoe, you can see the first photo with her tail at the bottom right corner. Also her hair is long than the photo you gave me here but definitely not as long as the ragdoll, that's why I am wondering if her hair is gonna get longer.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid not. Did you purchase her as a pedigreed Ragdoll? She's a beautiful cat, but not a purebred Ragdoll.

110766xuyifei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I got her from a pet store in Toronto. They sell a lot of cats and dogs. Now it makes sense why is doesn't have long hair now. Thanks for your help. She's always my favourite.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
5B68846D-8127-4891-8F70-DD00C7368DFE.jpeg

Your baby very well could develop a thicker coat. With that tail it’s hard to believe she/he won’t have longer fur as he/she grows. Here’s a pic of another ragdoll that started out with a shorter coat and developed as he aged. I’d be willing to bet once winter is in full swing her coat will fill out. I can tell how dense it is from the pics. And again, that’s definitely the tail of a long haired cat. My himi’s have completely different coats from summer to winter.

110766xuyifei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 201546 Your baby very well could develop a thicker coat. With that tail it’s hard to believe she/he won’t have longer fur as he/she grows. Here’s a pic of another ragdoll that started out with a shorter coat and developed as he aged.
Thank you so much, that's actually helpful.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any cat sold without papers is either short hair or long hair domestic; that being said the cat in question is likely a bicolor pointed medium hair cat. Without papers showing purebreed though it is neither a Snowshoe or Ragdoll but rather a look alike domestic cat. Since both breeds are the same bicolor pointed as a base with changes in coat length being the primary visual difference is it a fine line between the two as the most similar in visual appearance. I put very little stock to any claims from pet stores as to breeds especially when it comes to cat breeds. Rescues, shelters and pet store are well known for misidentifying cat breeds by simply labeling cats as whatever they most resemble in an effort to up appeal and/or costs. Since a cat from a pet store likely came from a kitten mill that contributes to a reduced chance that any breed claims are based on actual lineage and increase the chance that they are just lookalikes. One of the many reasons to never buy a pet from a pet store and either adopt from rescues or buy directly from recognized breeders if purebred is desired (please keep in mind I am from California and fully support the recent bill banning pet stores from selling pets and requiring all cats, dogs and rabbits to come from rescues if a pet store wants to have them on property).

It may continue to grow and it is possible that a longer coat will grow out in the winter. A lack of being purebred does not mean that you can't have very similar attributes or lookalikes outside of the breed. My girl is a Snowshoe look alike (100% lucky genetic mix from a long line of ferals) and during the summer she is a very sleek shorthair but during the winter she practically poofs you can see in the photos that her collar disappears because of how much fluff she gains. While she doesn't get much longer fur her coat doubles in thickness.

Summer Winter

Last edited:

gmald.6225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think ur cat hasnt fully grown. My cat is six months and hasnt filly grown its hair yet. I had the same question to if hos hair will keep grpwing but

gmald.6225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering of my cat was a ragdoll. they sold it to me and told me it was a ragdoll but the hair doesnt seem that hairy. And he is six months old. When he was a kitten he was hairy but not no more. I know it takes four yeara for them to grow but just curious if he will stay like that
20190118_233302.jpg
20181126_184217.jpg

Attachments