Is My Queen Actually A Tom Cat?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad, this happened to me twice. First with my childhood cat Mally, now with my Demi. I thought they were both girls and gave them girls names. Luckily the names worked out okay for boys. Are you going to keep the name Nala for him?
Exactly what happened with Charlie. The woman who found him thought he was a she and named "her" Annie. I called "her" Mabel, but luckily I had scheduled the vet appointment for the next day.

The vet and I had a good laugh about it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's happened to MOST of us, at LEAST once. This is kitten season, and there will be several posts asking about the sex of various kittens. We all sit around our computers, closely examining kitten fannies, and debating the possibilities. Thank GOODNESS there are only two! And we had one kitten who kept the vet guessing for 5 weeks. It isn't always easy for even the experts to tell!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
kittens mom kittens mom had the opposite problem. Her 'Tabbinese Tigers' are named Frog and Toad, and then she discovered they are girls. They kept their names, too. She has wonderful pictures of her girls scattered throughout the site.
It was quite the ride. My vet is a cat expert and she was exasperated and embarrassed at the revolving door sex of my babies. At this point I can't remember who was girl or a boy at the last rotation. I expected a call from the clinic on spay day saying we had one that would need a neuter.
Of all the diagrams, pictures and verbal descriptions this is the most definitive for telling the sex.
https://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/outreach...res/cats/determining-gender-(sex)-of-a-kitten

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That was excellent. I bookmarked it for future reference, should it be needed.

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It happened to me the breeder told me he was a girl so I called him sandy I put a pink coller on him then I took him to the vets to be spayed they shaved him to be spayed cut him open and found out he was a boy.
When I collected him from the vets they said everything went alright but sandy is not a girl he is a boy
But we love him and I am glad he is a boy

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It happened to me the breeder told me he was a girl so I called him sandy I put a pink coller on him then I took him to the vets to be spayed they shaved him to be spayed cut him open and found out he was a boy.
When I collected him from the vets they said everything went alright but sandy is not a girl he is a boy
But we love him and I am glad he is a boy

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please help..is my kitten male or female??i always thot she was my queen..until i noticed the lil "pouch" at the rear there...
Yup, your queen is a KING, ha ha!

At least you found out the easy way. My friend, a long time ago, had a cat that she swore was a boy. Well, he started gaining weight over a few weeks and at first, my friend thought Tigger was just eating everyone else's food. Then the nipples popped out and the belly dropped and it was quite obvious what 'team' Tigger was on!

He... I mean, she... had 5 kittens, then got spayed at the first moment!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't remember my very first cat, I was only three, but "her" name was Squeaky Mae. One day, she got out, and Mom spent over an hour chasing her so there wouldn't be any accidents. The next day, she headed to the vet and was dropped off for spaying. An hour later, the vet called and said, "Jackie, the necessary surgery was done, but Squeaky Mae is actually Squeaky John."