Is my new kitten at a healthy weight?

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I'm new here and also a first time kitten owner. I was raised around cats but I've never had a kitten of my own until now and I've been lurking on the site for a while before deciding to create this account because it seems the perfect place to talk about/share my new little darling and get some sound advice from more experienced kitten/cat owners.

So a little backstory ( also a bit of an essay haha )
I've never been able to own my own kitten or cat myself due to having a very high drive working dog who sadly passed away 8 months ago at the ripe age of 16 and left a gaping hole in my heart .
I hadn't felt comfortable welcoming another lifelong companion into my home until recently when a very close friend had a mishap with her sweet little moggy and the neighbour's pedigree breeding Tom, resulting in a very unlikely "whoopsie" litter. She decided to offer me a kitten as she knew how much I missed the companionship of fluffy family member. And I felt it was the right time for me to welcome a new best friend into my heart and home.

Now, unfortunately I don't know a great deal about breeding cats (Nor does my friend) so I brought her home at 8 weeks which I now understand is a little too young.
She was the smallest of the litter, and at the time of picking her out at 2 weeks old, the least "flashy" looking in terms of coat colour and pattern too . It's what drew me to her, honestly. She reminded me of some of the cats I was very fond of growing up (turns out she has grown into a gorgeous black smoke rather than the Tuxedo I thought she'd be! )
I got her scheduled for her vet visit the day after bringing her home and upon that visit I found out she really was pretty tiny and bony for her age, weighing just 1.1 lbs

She did also have a lot of fleas, sadly. That I was completely unaware of until I got her home and they were pinging off me! so she was treat for those, dewormed and we discussed and implemented a diet plan to help her gain weight so she can have her vaccinations. The vet says she is OK, but a malnourished and just suggested we should monitor her weight after parasite treatment first to make sure she was steadily gaining and that she was strong and healthy enough to go ahead with the vaccination course. She is booked in for a few days time and is now 10 weeks and 4 days old weighing 2.5 lbs . Is this a healthy weight gain and average? or is she still considered quite small ?

Her mother is a very petite moggy but the father is next door's very hefty British shorthair, if that makes a difference? Maybe she just takes after her mother?
I Just feel so bad for her and hope I can make it up to her by giving her the best possible life I can and that her rocky start won't impact her health in the long run :(

If you made it to the end, thank you so much for reading and for any answers given while I anxiously await my sweet girl's next vet visit!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say her weight right now is just about perfect for her age. You're doing a great job of getting her where she needs to be!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would say her weight right now is just about perfect for her age. You're doing a great job of getting her where she needs to be!!
Ahh, that's absolutely brilliant news! Thank you so much for your response. As you can probably tell, I am a nervous new kitty owner and this is hugely reassuring to hear (:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Textbook normal for a 10 week-old kitten!
Such great news, thank you! I'm so glad she seems unhindered and is growing normal for her age :)