Is my new kitten a Siberian Forest?

cbb3969

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'd love some help with what breed my new kitten is. We bought her as a Siberian Forest. I saw her mum and dad who apparently are Siberian, they were very fluffy. The mum was silver and the dad had the same markings as my kitten. I just have my doubts. My partner used to be very allergic which is why we went for the Siberian. What dother you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Both parents were fluffy?   But the kitten seems to be shorthair.  Verry shorthair, not even kitten fluffiness.... With every looks of a very sweet, butter and bread, domestic tabby.

The question is, was it the cuccoo bird, the gypsies, the trolls, or the postman?     Although I will admit I have seen seemingly shorthair kittens whom ended as longhair, and vice versa.   Its there I discovered the myths about gypsies and trolls arent just pure fictions. Changelings do occur.  :)

But if your partner manages him well without problems, so be happy and do keep him. You couldnt pick better.

Especielly as there are Sibirians, whom are presumed many allerrgics manage them. and there are Norwegian Forest cat.

So if the "breeder" told he sold real Sibirian Forests, something was amiss already there.  And thus, sooner fraud then a potentially safe haven for allergics.

Also, there are tips and tricks for allergic cat owners, to manage the situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cbb3969

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is a picture of the mum and dad. I have so many doubts now. Obviously not a problem if my partner doesn't develop any allergies, but it's such a waiting game.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Number one I dont think is a real sibirian, I dont even Im sure she is mediumhair. Or?  If the tail is bushy, so she is of course.

Look up about a natural sibirian cat, the heroic Masha from Obninsk in Russia.  Or as I sometimes think on her,  the saint Masha from Obninsk.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...an-abandoned-infant-from-winters-deep-freeze/

Number two DOES has a bushy tail, but the looks are of a British,  here thus, a longhaired british.  (they probably have a fancy name, I never remember which)
This is a picture of the mum and dad. I have so many doubts now. Obviously not a problem if my partner doesn't develop any allergies, but it's such a waiting game.
Dont forget to neuter him -  fertile cats are more difficult for the allergics.  Learn him to be bathed regularly.  If you can learn him to swim is even better. You dont need no soap, just body warm water.    Washing them regularly off is one of the standard tricks against allergy.

Air cleaner with Hepa-filtering... Awoid dust.   Your hubby shouldnt smoke if he does.  ETC.

ONE sacrifice you must do: you shouldnt let him be in the bedroom.  Not being able to sleep in the bed with your cat is prob the most difficult part of this.   :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps.  May I ask, how much did you payed?   As for a purebred, or as for a nice domestic? 50 or 500-1000 dollars?

Last edited: