Is My Nervous Energy Rubbing Off On The Cats, Or Is It Just Too Soon To Introduce Them?

miaomiao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, all! It's been a while since I last posted here, but I recently adopted a new cat, and am in need of some advice on cat introductions.

My resident cat is now about 7 years old, and pretty much as friendly and affectionate of a cat as they come; she's never shown any aggression toward humans, even when they approach her wearing another cat's scent. She was adopted when she was around 3, having gone from a household where she was one of two littermates to one in which she's the only cat. She's spayed and not declawed.

Ten days ago, I adopted a gorgeous new 18-month-old spayed female cat from the shelter. She's quite shy and skittish, but over time has grown to accept affection from her humans and to run around freely in the room we have designated for her. Like the RC, she's spayed and not declawed.

For the first six or seven days we kept them separated, apart from a few times we accidentally left the door to the room open and the RC snuck in to eat the new cat's food or use her litter. (We shooed her away each time we saw her doing so.) During that time, I placed a towel with the other cat's scent under each cat's food and water bowls. RC has not reacted aggressively to the presence of the other cat's scent in her space, and neither has NC to RC's scent.

The two first came face to face maybe three or four days ago, and there was a brief standoff in which they simply stared at each other for a few minutes while standing a foot or two apart before the NC ran off to hide. The first sign of aggression from the RC came a little bit later when she was perched on top of a scratching post and appeared to hiss or growl at the NC, who was standing beneath her.

Yesterday, I was in the NC's room when the RC entered, following me as she has always done. When the two cats saw each other, there was a standoff in which the NC would approach, back off, hide, and then repeat the process. During one approach, she probably got a tad too close to RC, who then hissed and swiped at her. Shortly thereafter, RC ran after NC and chased her under the bed, prompting me to scold her. After a few minutes, I shooed RC out of the room because NC wouldn't come out from under the bed while RC was present. The two interacted with each other through the door for a while, meowing but (thankfully) not hissing.

Neither cat has altered her potty, eating, or grooming habits, and when NC isn't present, RC is just as affectionate toward her humans as she has always been. I admit to having felt mild anxiety each time the two cats were in the same room, so was my nervous energy the reason for the confrontation, or was it just too soon for them to be introduced? Thanks in advance!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I think it is really important to follow the formal introduction process. I think they have gotten together way too soon. Often times we get a decent initial reaction and it can degrade from there as it is too much of a shock for the RC.

It is very important to try to slowly introduce them (first through scent and using food to make a positive association). We want to make sure every encounter is as positive as possible and build positive associations. We want to avoid any negative sentiment building up that causes distrust etc.

So here are some links to the formal introduction process. I am happy to help you through the steps.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

A Simple Little Trick to Use During New Cat Introductions

Cat Care

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

The RC is usually the cat that has the most difficult time adjusting as it is their territory being "invaded" so building trust and confidence is really important in both cats. We build confidence through play, food, height and love which I can describe more in depth.

So for now I would keep the NC in a separate room making sure they don't have any visual encounters and feed on either side of the closed door. Start a little ways a way and move the food closer to the closed door slowly.

During this period step up play with both cats in their respective areas. After play feed either treats or a meal.

Then we will see how they do and move to the next step.

Our emotions are very important so it is important to stay as calm and confident as possible.

We just want to reinforce positive encounters so as to let both know the other is not a threat (physical, access to food, etc) and avoid negative encounters.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I am happy to help you. The process really does work and I am highly confident we can get them to get along.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My take is that it is going pretty well, except for the one chasing incident. A little growling, hissing and a defensive swat is totally normal and ok. They can sort of work that out of their system themselves. The problem comes if you let them fight, which builds bad memories. So it was going pretty good when they were skittish, nervous and defensive, even the swat being ok, and only the one chase is a bit of a set-back. I would continue the slow introduction process, and give them supervised time together sometime soon, see how it goes. If it looks like it is going to proceed to a chase/fight, distract with toys or treats. The process in the links is good, I'm just adding my take that it is not realistic to expect that it leads to them being totally good with each other. There will likely be some anxiety when they meet, with symptoms, and they will need to work through that.

Don't scold, because remember this is anxiety based. Scolding only adds to anxiety.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miaomiao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At one time, the older cat was distracted by a catnip toy when they were in the same room, so I'll remember to have toys and treats on hand the next time they see each other. In the meantime, I'll just continue with the exchanging of scents.

Thanks!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Distracting is really good to avoid a negative encounter and turn it into a potential positive encounter. Anytime they are together whether through scent or sight and nothing bad happens it is a positive that builds trust and confidence. Also building a positive association with scent and food etc is very important and positive.

As is building confidence in each using play.

Let us know if you have any questions.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recently introduced two kittens to two older cats, and am always lurking around seeing if any hissing is going on or anything, in other words very anxious. they all get anxious when i am around, and it is then when they are not relaxed. according to my husband they are fine when i am not there. of course one of the problems is when i get home from work, they all come out at the same time and want to greet me, and then they are just in each others way, and growling starts. but in answer to your question, i firmly believe that my stress is felt by them, and am trying very hard to be more calm about a couple hisses between them etc. I like the laser as a toy that they all can kind of play but while in different areas of the room, just redirect one when they get too close for comfort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miaomiao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm happy to report that the two cats are sitting < 1 ft. apart, and haven't shown any hostility to each other for several days. We're still supervising them, of course, but it's looking like everything is good. The younger cat is also exploring the rest of the house, no longer confining herself to hiding under the bed in her safe room.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm happy to report that the two cats are sitting < 1 ft. apart, and haven't shown any hostility to each other for several days. We're still supervising them, of course, but it's looking like everything is good. The younger cat is also exploring the rest of the house, no longer confining herself to hiding under the bed in her safe room.

Great to hear. Keep building on these positive encounters and try to avoid any negative encounters. Keep building confidence and make positive associations using food to build a positive feeling between them. As we build their confidence they are more likely to accept each other.

There are always ups and downs so be prepared and stay diligent but I am confident it is not if but when they will be fine together.

Keep up the great work, thank you for the update, and feel free to ask anything anytime. Good job!!