Is My Kittens Spay Site Infected?

GoosieBeepos09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I’m looking for some help! My little kitten Duckie was spayed a week ago and I just brought her home from who I got her from on Monday and today I was looking at her incision site and it looks so weird/gross...it looks like a scabbed over outie belly button that’s kinda hard with a little pin hole in the middle and I know it doesn’t hurt her cuz I was kinda messing with it while she was sleeping and she didn’t move at all...I have no idea if it’s normal or not...it’s not hot to the touch at all, it’s not really red, it’s not oozing/leaking anything, and she’s acting completely normal, she’s eating, drinking, and being very very playful. Also when she’s not stretched out it kind folds up onto its self so I didn’t know it looked like that until today...So I’m just wondering if maybe she got a stitch or two out or something? They are the dissolvable stitches (don’t know if that matters)...So what do you guys think does it look infected and I should take her to get checked out or is it just scabbed over and healing funky? Sorry the pics are kinda gross I zoomed in so you guys could get a better look at them...it’s totally making me nervous!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoosieBeepos09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
See it just folds up and you can’t see it...

GoosieBeepos09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I looked at it again and it is a bit oozy but that’s after it went back in like in the last pic I posted

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m not an expert so I’m sure others will be around to give you more advice! But I would call my vet or send them a photo if I were you. The ooziness and crustiness would make me nervous too. My kitten also got spayed a week ago and here’s her incision for comparison:
798EB10F-5E48-484F-A168-FB2D06D853E4.jpeg

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi GoosieBeepos09 (gotta luv that!) and welcome to the forum !

The "oozy" part concerns me - I would take her in for a quick recheck to be on the safe side. (I don't like the look of it - something may be 'brewing' inside that fold.)

Let us know what happens.

GoosieBeepos09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea I don’t know what she was doing at her previous house but I do know she’s been super active here at mine...she got fixed at a shelter and I don’t have a normal vet yet...cuz I moved so should I call the shelter and ask or should I find a vet? But maybe ooze was the wrong word to use lol it was just kinda wet...ugh I don’t know this is frustrating...cuz the last kitten I got fixed and had to heal here at home was a boy lol and my other kitty’s were already healed when I adopted them from the shelter...

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would phone the shelter and they can put you in touch with their vet. The site looks to be infected to me and if so she will need antibiotics.

GoosieBeepos09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! Thank you for all your replies! I took her to the vet and she said it’s not infected or anything and it’s healing just fine...but she did have to get a cone of shame so she’s stays away from it lol it’s so heavy tho it pulls her little head down and drags on the floor lol

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she's small enough, you can use a paper plate. Just cut an X in the middle and stick her head through it. You could also use a baby onesie.

GoosieBeepos09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she's small enough, you can use a paper plate. Just cut an X in the middle and stick her head through it. You could also use a baby onesie.
I brought up using like a sock or something like that and they said that’s they want to air out...but the plate idea is pretty cool! She is small enough cuz she’s only 2 months old

GoosieBeepos09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did the paper plate idea that you suggested instead cuz she couldn’t keep her head up with the e-collar and omg it’s so genius!!! Thank you for telling me about it!!! I’m curious as to how she’s gunna sleep so we’ll see how that goes tonight lol!