Is my kitten overly hyper?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please keep me updated! I'm really interested to see if gabapentin works in hyper cats

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not consider medicating a kitten being hyper or for playing to hard with another kitten or cat. This is normal behavior, no matter how wild they get. Body slamming, biting, pinning down, bunny kicking, squealing, screeching and running off like they have been set afire is all part of kittens playing together. And often one kitten does much more screaming and complaining than the other. Kittens just don’t hurt other kittens.

Spend some time on YouTube watching kittens and cats play fighting and you will see how rough and loud good friends can get.

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would not consider medicating a kitten being hyper or for playing to hard with another kitten or cat. This is normal behavior, no matter how wild they get. Body slamming, biting, pinning down, bunny kicking, squealing, screeching and running off like they have been set afire is all part of kittens playing together. And often one kitten does much more screaming and complaining than the other. Kittens just don’t hurt other kittens.

Spend some time on YouTube watching kittens and cats play fighting and you will see how rough and loud good friends can get.
Were you addressing me or the original post-er?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Were you addressing me or the original post-er?
Original poster, it looks like. If you want advice specific to your situation, you should start a separate thread!

S shebaa , I want to second what susanm9006 susanm9006 said. These are kittens, and they're learning how to interact with each other. My two are bonded siblings, and one of them has hissed and yelled during play since they were babies (they're 4 now). It sounds scary, but they are not hurting each other and love on each other shortly after. Obviously yours are not bonded, but my point is that cat play can look scarier than it is.

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Original poster, it looks like. If you want advice specific to your situation, you should start a separate thread!

S shebaa , I want to second what susanm9006 susanm9006 said. These are kittens, and they're learning how to interact with each other. My two are bonded siblings, and one of them has hissed and yelled during play since they were babies (they're 4 now). It sounds scary, but they are not hurting each other and love on each other shortly after. Obviously yours are not bonded, but my point is that cat play can look scarier than it is.
war&wisdom, I'm not sure where the disconnect is, but I was not seeking "advice specific to my situation" in this thread; I was having a conversation with shebaa, sharing my thoughts from my experience with cats, as well as the counsel I am getting from other cat-lovers, my vet, and the behaviorist with which I am consulting, and shebaa seemed okay with that. In the comment to which you replied, I was seeking clarification from susanm9006 as to the intended audience of her comment, which only she can clarify. I do see that it was not posted as a response to a comment of mine specifically, but I have posted as a general comment instead of a reply by mistake before. Since I am the one preparing to likely medicate my cat, I thought she might have meant me. That's why I simply asked her. Also, I have wanted advice specific to my situation in the past and currently. That is why I do have a couple of threads that I started so that I could seek advice specific to my situation. It's been great and I have had a lot of wisdom shared with me by other members. Thanks for the advice, though.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no def my kitties arent bonded. they dont snuggle together after play. any advice on how to get them to bond?
last year i had 2 kittens 4 and 5 months old (i think i mentioned that), adopted together. one kitten patiently waited for other kitten to accept him. there was also hissing involved after a week, they became bffs, completely bonded. to when i rehomed them, i was only willing to rehome together since they became so attached to each other and the one who did the hissing, became so dependent to the other kitty. looked to him for comfort.... anyways, i want my kitties now to be like that :itslove:
they did have a good (CRAZY WRESTLING) play session today, new kitty went a while without hissing and growling.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Give it some time, they are still in the getting to know one another stage. Might be a few weeks or even longer but its almost a certainty they will become good friends and snuggle buddies.

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
medicating cause of hyperness just sounds weird to me. but i guess it wouldnt hurt to try. ive use gabapentin on my last cat cause she had vet aggression. she was on 100mg. it made her slow, wobbly and sleepy. hopefully its not the 100mg the vet gave you
I picked it up yesterday. It's 100 mg. Not sure I want to give her that much.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I picked it up yesterday. It's 100 mg. Not sure I want to give her that much.
i would not give her that much. maybe start with 1/3 of it first then go from there

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
kitties are getting along soooo much better. yesterday i hardly heard any hissing or growling from new kitten. a few days ago i also caught them cuddling together!