Is my kitten mute?

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back in February, I adopted 2 female kittens from a shelter, both 5-6 months. This is on top of the 14 year old I already have living with me. It's been a little bit over a month now and I've noticed one of the kitties *never* meows or thrills or squeaks like the other one does. I cannot recall a single meow. I can however hear her purr and growl (over the possession of a toy), so she's not a 100% silent. It's still odd. Instead of meowing for things, she'll do this begging gesture with her front paws (it's hella cute). I checked to see if she could hear fine, and it appears to be the case. Is she simply not vocalizing by choice or could there be more to it?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a good link for ya. Basically says its probably just personality, but just so you can't sleep, it includes a list of horribles. But really, its pretty good about saying that unless a loud cat suddenly falls silent, its probably nothing to worry about:

Reasons a Cat Doesn't Meow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a good link for ya. Basically says its probably just personality, but just so you can't sleep, it includes a list of horribles. But really, its pretty good about saying that unless a loud cat suddenly falls silent, its probably nothing to worry about:

Reasons a Cat Doesn't Meow
I'm assuming it's just personality (as she has no visible symptoms of a health problem), but thought I run it by other people to be sure. It's just odd, as I've always had very vocal cats. I can have a full conversation with my senior cat, and the other kitten seems to be vocalizing like you would expect. That's just who she is I guess! ;)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll probably get a better sense of whether she can make a normal range of vocalizations as she gets older. Just for example, you'll probably step on her tail at some point if she is typically underfoot, and that should produce a new vocalization of some sort.

I have quite a little chirper now, more so than even our first cat that was a Siamese, and it can be a bit annoying at times. A silent cat that can still purr doesn't sound bad!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She most likely has a voice, but can't think of anything to say.

I had a cat previously that never vocalized in his life except for an occasional croak. I knew he went out and got into fights at night (which should have brought something out of him), but he never spoke to us.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She most likely has a voice, but can't think of anything to say.

Or just too shy / uncomfortable to speak, just like some introverted people :) It's a personality thing. Some cats will be talkers, others are quiet. Being quiet doesn't mean the cat is unhappy or that you are a bad owner or anything.

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we've adopted our cats they were 3-4 months old. One of them were talkative from the start, the other started/ learned how to to "talk" after 2-3 months (and she hasn't shuted up since! :lol: )

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't normally meow. Kittens meow for their mothers but, unless there is a reason like they are hurt, afraid or having a fight, grown cats don't make meowing sounds.

Cats that have been socialized with humans do learn to meow for food and attention but this is a learned behavior. It takes a while for the cat to acclimate to its humans and to learn that meowing gets them what they want.

When we first adopted our cat, Casper, he never made a sound. He would occasionally purr when you fed him or petted him but no meowing. It wasn't until he got into a scuffle with an outside cat that came up to our patio door that he even made a sound.

It's been six, going on seven years, now and Casper is just starting to meow for attention from his humans.

You've only had your cat for a month. It'll take a while for her to learn when to make sounds to get your attention. :)

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had my kitty Sophie for 13 years. I think we were about ten years in before I heard a peep out of her. She did meow here and there the last couple years, but still pretty rarely.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in February, I adopted 2 female kittens from a shelter, both 5-6 months. This is on top of the 14 year old I already have living with me. It's been a little bit over a month now and I've noticed one of the kitties *never* meows or thrills or squeaks like the other one does. I cannot recall a single meow. I can however hear her purr and growl (over the possession of a toy), so she's not a 100% silent. It's still odd. Instead of meowing for things, she'll do this begging gesture with her front paws (it's hella cute). I checked to see if she could hear fine, and it appears to be the case. Is she simply not vocalizing by choice or could there be more to it?
I did something similar with my cat Coco. She would never hiss or growl. When my cats came near her she would quiver her tail,very afraid. Now she is very vocal and since she no longer hides I can see her ears twitch

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a Manx who has meowed maybe 6 times in the last year and a half, and it took her probably a year before saying anything. My other cat talks enough for both of them. LOL She's talking a bit more now; I think she just never had a need (she came from a hoarding situation); I do find she is a bit more vocal if I know she wants something and ignore her.