Is My Kitten Mad At Me?

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took her to my parents last night for my mom's 65th b-day, and she was not a happy camper. Ran and hid from everyone, hissed and attacked if they got too close, even me. Got home, she ignored me and kept away all night (but slept at my bf's feet and he was also there). This morning I'm trying to play with her favorite toy, but suddenly she's ignoring that and full on attacking me, roughly. I hide my whole body under the blankets and turn my head and she jumps on the back of my head!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry your cat experienced some obvious stress going to your mother's birthday party. Looking back it probably was not best for her to be taken out of her natural surroundings/environment. However, I'm sure with patience and a bit of time she will overcome this but there's no exact timeframe, i.e. every cat is an individual. Here is an Article that may be helpful about redirecting aggression: Re-directed Aggression In Cats

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are very territorial and most don't like sudden change. It was probably very overwhelming and stressful for your kitten to be in a new place with a lot of new people. There are some (few) cats that are okay with being transported from destination to destination, but in my experience most cats really don't like that. If you do choose do it, I would do it slowly and cautiously and not when there is a party or lots of people around. She is probably just scared now. I would give her some space to feel safe again and if she doesn't like being transported different places I would just keep her at home.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree. Take it slow. Remember she's only been at your place a month or so, so she's still settling into your home. Maybe start taking her out for short car drives. And short visits to your Mom's place. She may learn to like travelling, and then she may not.
Here's a TCS article with 36 Awesome Tips For Road Tripping With Your Cat :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's been to my mom's twice before. First time she was fine, but the second is when she started getting upset. Yeah think I'll get her used to the truck first...

She's definitely trying to make sure to attack me and not her toys. It's very upsetting.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ours is very easily stressed too, and I was heartbroken after days of similar treatment after taking her to the vets. I tried so hard and I was devastated thinking she hated me and she was punishing me with aloof behavior. I finally decided to change tactics, I would lavish attention on the dog, (instead of always offering it to both) and always act happy and excited about treats and toys. We would go around the corner and she just couldn’t take it, she started following us around and trying to get MY attention and lavishing ME with attention. Now everything is back to normal, but she’s grown far more secure in her home life. I know they are all different, but try it! Really ham up how good a plate of chicken is instead of offering her a piece, she will want some! The same with toys, I felt like an idiot pretending to love playing with a cat toy, but she had to come try it. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll try. I'm very depressed. Told my bf to deal with feeding her for a couple of days

lookitsria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't take it personally. Cats have emotions but they aren't the same as humans. When I got Sasha, I didn't know what to expect. I picked her because she was shy and hiding and I felt like no one would adopt her over the fun and playful kittens in the room that she was scared of. She ignored me completely for a week and I was so bummed. But I let her do her thing and she warmed up to me... sort of. She's still not a lap cat but she likes to be near me- in the same room with me- just not close enough to touch. Your kitten is very young and you might see her attacking as being mean and hating you when it's really just play aggression. I suggest watching a few episodes of "My Cat From Hell" if you can- haha. Not sure if that's available in Canada. Just remember that your cat likely won't change to all lovey-dovey overnight. But I think if you don't work with her, she will never warm up to you.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good post above.

It sounds like your kitten might just be playing with you. Have you used your body a lot in the past to play with her? If yes, she probably thinks you are okay to take out play aggression on. Even if not, she’s a kitten and she’s most likely playing. If she was attacking you it would be much different.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I remember from your other post that you're used to owning dogs. Yeah, cats are quite a bit different. Most cats you can't really take them places, especially not to parties with lots of people, they prefer to stay home.