Is my kitten black smoke and what breed does he resemble?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Coat is longhair... Some may call it for medium hair, but its the same gene... No doubt, tail is bushy enough...
Being blue eyed isnt not that common...

Still, my guess is he is a domestic long hair, DLH

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ColorPointOtome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t think he’s a smoke. By definition smoke means the root of each hair are white. If he has white roots they are well hidden.
His roots on his tummy and under his chin are white/grey. His roots everywhere else are black. He is stunning conundrum, lol.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He perhaps has a little locklet on belly? Locklet is usually on the chest visible from forrards, but sometimes its on the belly....

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Solid black, not smoke. Very typical coat for a young black cat.
No breed - domestic long hair.
Save your money

ColorPointOtome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Solid black, not smoke. Very typical coat for a young black cat.
No breed - domestic long hair.
Save your money
No worries, his rehoming fee was only $250. Even if he's not smoke, his face and coloring are uniq for a domestic longhair and he makes a great trophy brother for my registered Balinese cat.

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No worries, his rehoming fee was only $250. Even if he's not smoke, his face and coloring are uniq for a domestic longhair and he makes a great trophy brother for my registered Balinese cat.
Cute pair!

My Maine Coon is solid black and has the same coat as your black cat. She looked a lot more smoke as a kitten. Her breeder registered her as solid black, but when I picked her up she said there was a slight chance she'd wind up smoke since her father was. But time would tell. For at least a year or more she looked smoke and I had a ton of people who know genetics say the same. When I sent in for her pedigree I put black smoke. Nope. The older she got the less gray was there and I wound up having to change her pedigree to reflect the right color. She is 4 now, and definitely solid black though still has a lighter gray tone on her belly/britches and toe fluff. Depending on lighting that becomes very prominent or you don't see it all all. It's quite interesting.

ColorPointOtome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cute pair!

My Maine Coon is solid black and has the same coat as your black cat. She looked a lot more smoke as a kitten. Her breeder registered her as solid black, but when I picked her up she said there was a slight chance she'd wind up smoke since her father was. But time would tell. For at least a year or more she looked smoke and I had a ton of people who know genetics say the same. When I sent in for her pedigree I put black smoke. Nope. The older she got the less gray was there and I wound up having to change her pedigree to reflect the right color. She is 4 now, and definitely solid black though still has a lighter gray tone on her belly/britches and toe fluff. Depending on lighting that becomes very prominent or you don't see it all all. It's quite interesting.
That is interesting. I have never seen a black cat with fever coat in person so I wouldn't be able to rule that out either. I love velvety black fur but it is incredibly difficult to take a photo of a black cat that accurately reflects what they look like in person. I feel like I could photograph my cat in different angles and lightings to look like five completely different cats, lol.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is interesting. I have never seen a black cat with fever coat in person so I wouldn't be able to rule that out either. I love velvety black fur but it is incredibly difficult to take a photo of a black cat that accurately reflects what they look like in person. I feel like I could photograph my cat in different angles and lightings to look like five completely different cats, lol.
Yes this! Luna looks like a completely different cat depending on lighting. It's pretty wild.
Fever coats are not as common as it seems to be - many black cats go through these color changes and surely there aren't that many sick cat moms to account for that number.