Is My Kitten Albino??

Emski87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
Newbie on here. Just wondered what peoples thoughts are on our kitten.
Our Cat Lola gave birth 3 weeks ago to 2 kittens. Lola is black and white. Dad is tabby and she had 2 kittens - a male tabby and a female white kitten.
The white kitten (Marshmallow) has left me wondering if shes albino as if she is obviously we need to ensure as shes growing up to put extra precautions in place. So I was just hoping to get your expert thoughts. Or is it still too early to tell?
Shes white with a tiny tiny little grey patch on her head - the grey colour does not extend the full hair folicals down to her skin as it is almost a dusting of it on her head. Her ears are pink. Her nose and mouth are pink. All paws are pure pink. Her tail is white and you can see pink skin under her tail hair. Her eyes are blue.
Ive uploaded a pic too.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
What a cutie! I think sure she’s not albino. The grey patch on her head is a giveaway that she’s white due to the white masking gene, and not albinism. White kittens are born with a different colored patch on their head. That is the color that the W gene is covering. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emski87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replys. I will admit Im confussed by the colour genes and male and female genes etc.
Someone said where is the white gene from... the Mother is Black and White - would this be from her?
Ive just turned to 'trusty' google and now read that male kittens get their colours from the mother cat. But our male kitten is Tabby. (Ive included a photo)
The dad is a tabby cat.
Sorry im confussing myself even more I think!! Haha.
Both are absolutly gorgeous - just curious and also didnt want to do wrong by the white cat incase she was Albino.
Any more help to help me understand would be appriciated. Thanks. X

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stop and belay the hanging of the janitor! It seems the janitor may be innocent!
The official father and mother may have done it all by themselves!!! No help from other toms is necessary after all.

While I was rereading about the rare recessive all white gene (as this could be an alternative explanation), I come into this passus at Messybeasts " The white spotting gene can sometimes produced solid white cats and is also sometimes called recessive white" The same proceeds further down in there.

I didnt knew it was possible, I though a spotted white gives spotted white, for example tuxedo or harlequine
But as the Messybeasts White Cats, Eye Colours and Deafness explains, the spotted white gene MAY occassionally produce all white solid kittens.

What natural colors are carried and are covered by the white, you saw on this grayish spot the kitten had several days.

Here I learned something new to me!

the Mother is Black and White - would this be from her?
Yes, that seems to be possible!
Alternatively it may be a combo of the recessive all white gene. This isnt common, but happens now and then

An another all white tom being the by far most common cause for all white kittens. Hence, our harsh doom on the janitor. :)

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she had the grey patch on her head, I hope this is enough to dismiss the possibility of the deafness gene being present in many cats that are completely all white. I would check her reaction to noises and make sure she is not. I have had several deaf cats and they can live normal, fulfilling lives, they compensate in amazing ways. Her hearing is just developing as is her sight. Watch for the development of colored 'points' too, all white kittens can develop them a little later, mine did, they will start showing up faintly by 6 weeks. I would bet she will keep the blue eyes, most white kittens do. One way to check for albinism is to shine a light from the side and check the reflection of the eyes, if they reflect back pink she is. You can also see a pink cast in the pupil. I would doubt she is albino, it could happen but is SO rare. She is a beautiful, unusual kitten, one in a million. Congratulations!

Emski87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the comments.
Its strange that you mention the deafness as me and husband commented the other day that we were unsure she can hear. She keeps close by Mum and hasnt wondered away from the 'nest' like her brother has - so been harder to fully test and as you said their hearing is still developing so this also could be a reason.
I will try the light to check for pink eye reflection - thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty learned quickly how to cope, so I think he was 6 months old before we knew! He felt our footsteps, in fact we would stomp on the floor to get him to come. He even went outside, in a secure back yard, and we noticed he always had something to his back, like a tree, stone, etc. We would get him to come into the house by flipping the light on and off! Deafness means many added dangers though, they don't hear a dog or car coming either.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re the spotted white gene (tuxedo bicolor for example) MAY occasionally produce all white kittens.

It dawned on my a moment ago. I do have before me a pic of Scarlett the hero mother, whom rescued her 5 kittens from a burning building, her herself becoming thoroughly scorched. She was a calico. All her kittens were differently colored, including one point. And also, including one all white as it seems on that photo.

She being homeless could have, and probably had several toms of course. and thus, the kittens also, could have more than one father among themselves.
But surprisingly often, there is only one biological father even if several toms mated. This is the most common in my experience.

IF so, no all white committed, she did it all by herself.

A calico (spotted white gene carrier) did produced 1 all white kitten...

If Scarlett could, the symbol of motherhood and heroism, so of course, many other white spot carriers may produce all white kittens. As long as they dont do it too often, it will be OK. :)

Yes, the all white janitor here above is hereby acquitted from charges, he may even get an excuse. :)

Emski87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!
Wow definatley a Super Hero Mother cat!!

Am I right in thinking - even if she is not an albino that I still need to protect her from the sun due to her white coat?

[QUOTE="stefanz, post: 4502397, member:

If Scarlett could, the symbol of motherhood and heroism, so of course, many other white spot carriers may produce all white kittens. As long as they dont do it too often, it will be OK. :)[/QUOTE]
Could I ask why they shouldnt do it too often?
Ive also been researching into points as someone above suggested i look out for signs of colour appearing. Is there something 'speical' about point cats.
Please excuse my ignorance in all this. And I hope you dont mind me asking - Im just super curious to know.
Thanks again!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually an all-white cat has a white parent. Are you sure the tabby is the dad? Is she an indoor cat with no access to other toms besides him? If she ever got outside I'm inclined to think she met an all-white tom in her travels.

If you're certain that the tabby is the dad. . .as StefanZ says, the white spotting gene can lead to an all-white kitten, but this would be very unusual, as kittens usually don't have more white on them than their parents. If the mother were mostly white I could see it happening, but if she's a regular tuxedo I think it's very unlikely.

Since she has a color spot on her head, she's not albino. Most all-white cats have a color spot as a kitten---that's her genetic color.

Yes, all white cats need to be protected from the sun, especially their ears and nose. They don't have any natural sunscreen ;).

If the tabby is the dad, it's more likely that she's a pointed pattern. Both parents have to carry the pointed gene, one doesn't have to be pointed. So that really is more likely, although I'd think you'd be able to see some color appearing by now.

The male kitten still got his color from his mom, but a different pattern. The solid gene is recessive so apparently the father cat isn't a carrier. Tabby is the default pattern unless both parents pass on the solid gene. So he's a black tabby, having gotten the black from his mom :D.

Emski87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Usually an all-white cat has a white parent. Are you sure the tabby is the dad? Is she an indoor cat with no access to other toms besides him? If she ever got outside I'm inclined to think she met an all-white tom in her travels.

If you're certain that the tabby is the dad. . .as StefanZ says, the white spotting gene can lead to an all-white kitten, but this would be very unusual, as kittens usually don't have more white on them than their parents. If the mother were mostly white I could see it happening, but if she's a regular tuxedo I think it's very unlikely.

Since she has a color spot on her head, she's not albino. Most all-white cats have a color spot as a kitten---that's her genetic color.

Yes, all white cats need to be protected from the sun, especially their ears and nose. They don't have any natural sunscreen ;).

If the tabby is the dad, it's more likely that she's a pointed pattern. Both parents have to carry the pointed gene, one doesn't have to be pointed. So that really is more likely, although I'd think you'd be able to see some color appearing by now.

The male kitten still got his color from his mom, but a different pattern. The solid gene is recessive so apparently the father cat isn't a carrier. Tabby is the default pattern unless both parents pass on the solid gene. So he's a black tabby, having gotten the black from his mom :D.
Hi thank you for that.
Yes Tabby is definatley the dad.
The Mum is more white than she is black. She has black ears, chin, tail and top of her back. The rest of her is white.
The white kitten hasnt shown any other signs of colour appearing anywhere. Someone mentioned her cat didnt change until 6 months.
Thank you again!

Emski87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
7 weeks on and still no colour change!
Still very white with very pink ears nose and pads!

Attachments

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a kitten that was white with VERY subtle grey patching on the head. It faded by the time she was 3 months and she was solid white. Did not have blue eyes, though.
My former pair of kitties were also both white. One with green/yellow eyes and one with blue. Neither, I think, qualified as albino and neither had any deafness or eye issues.
Normal for a solid white to have pink leathering. In albino eyes would be blueish but under flash or pen light they'll appear pink.