Is My Kitten A Russian Blue

Abbyharvey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A lady is selling a grey kitten she found online. Solid grey kitten with blue eyes. The kitten is so little maybe 6 weeks old. How do I know if it is a Russian blue? I have allergic family members so I am looking for this specific breed. I read that Russian blues eyes stay blue and don’t turn green until 4 months. Anyways please help!

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, there is no breed of cat that is truly hypoallergenic. Some breeds are more tolerable for some allergic people, but that is not a guarantee that your family will be able to tolerate them. If you are looking for a cat that your family can tolerate, you can try visiting breeders to see what kind of reaction your family members have to that breed and those specific cats.

Here is some information from a Russian Blue breeder about "hypoallergenic" cats: A Hypo-Allergenic cat? | Wychwood Russian Blue Cats

The way you can tell that a kitten is a Russian Blue is that it comes from a reputable breeder and has registered Russian Blue parents.

Also, what do you mean "a lady is selling a grey kitten she found online"? She bought a young kitten from someone online and now she is re-selling it? This kitten appears to be too young to leave its mother, and it appears to be sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abbyharvey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying. I should have been more specific. She said her husband saw them coming home from work, couldn’t find their mother and looked very tiny and hungry She is currently nursing it to health. I know cats can’t be completely hypoallergenic but I have heard the Russian blue is easier on allergies. I Wanted to find out what breed it was and I was hoping someone could maybe help me since I am new with this breed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abbyharvey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying. I should have been more specific. She said her husband saw them coming home from work, couldn’t find their mother and looked very tiny and hungry She is currently nursing it to health. I know cats can’t be completely hypoallergenic but I have heard the Russian blue is easier on allergies. I Wanted to find out what breed it was and I was hoping someone could maybe help me since I am new with this breed

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a good thing that she rescued the kitten and is taking care of it! Blue is a fairly common color in the domestic cat population. It's extremely unlikely that this kitten has Russian Blue ancestry.

If you are looking for a Russian Blue specifically because you are concerned about allergies, you will want to look for a proper breeder with registered cats, and you will want to visit the breeder to see how your family reacts to their cats before you commit to buying one.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I Agree with above.
Yes its true rb are often alleegic friendly. Not in theory but in practice. Nobody has ever reacted on me yet we had "always" rb studs. And my bridge partner was allergic... But the dau to breeder of our patriarch was allergic to their rb but not their birma cat.

The sibirian cat is often said many allergics manage them.

But as Lutece said its in much individual.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So many people find a blue cat and assume its a Russian Blue, or a black cat and assume its a Bombay, a big fluffy long haired tabby and assume its a Maine Coon, or a color point and assume its a Siamese. Purebred cats are so rare. So you found an uninformed person rehoming a domestic shorthair blue cat. I say take it home! Give it a good life! But don't call it a Russian Blue.

CatsAreTheBest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
jen jen But they need a Russian blue because it is a party hypoallergenic cat. I suggest getting one from a breeder if you are really looking for one. Also Siberian cats tend to be better at not causing allergies.