Is my kitten a medium hair?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome to you both, what an absolutely darling little boy!

How old is he? That can make a difference in what length of fur he ends up with as he continues to mature.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My impression is, he is what is called for a medium hair; the tail is rather bushy...

The longhair gene is recessive, so both parents may be shorthairs. But if they both carry the medium / longhair gene, some of the kittens will be medium / longhair. Typically 1 in 4.

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is my kitten a medium hair? His hair is longest on his neck and tail, but it is quite long everywhere except his head; his mom is a shorthair but we aren’t sure who the father is. View attachment 449696View attachment 449697View attachment 449698View attachment 449699
Oh my! What a beautiful boy. Those pictures are absolutely adorable. From what I can see he is going to be a short-haired cat or a short haired cat with a thick coat. Medium or long haired cats by 12 weeks will start showing toe tufts which is bits of fur sticking out from between their toes. Also they usually have longer ear furnishings and sometimes much longer whiskers.
Thank you for sharing these adorable pics😻😻

Pablo/Rico6191

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Attachments

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just curious what he looks like now. Him and my kitten are nearly identical and i thought his hair was super long as well.
They're so beautiful 😍 I can understand why kitten fever is a real thing🥺
Your babies look short-haired to me but you can also check their toe tufts. If they have bits of longer fur sticking out from between their toes then they'll likely be long-haired

Olivia H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I’m looking to adopt an almost identical looking kitten to the orange/white one you posted here in May and I’m wondering if your cat ended up being short haired or medium haired? Possible to post a photo? Thanks!

Pablo/Rico6191

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I’m looking to adopt an almost identical looking kitten to the orange/white one you posted here in May and I’m wondering if your cat ended up being short haired or medium haired? Possible to post a photo? Thanks!
I have an almost identical one and now that he’s shedding his kitten fur he looks like he is going to be short haired. At first I thought he had a super long and fluffy coat because my other cat was never that fluffy as a kitten.

Pablo/Rico6191

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They're so beautiful 😍 I can understand why kitten fever is a real thing🥺
Your babies look short-haired to me but you can also check their toe tufts. If they have bits of longer fur sticking out from between their toes then they'll likely be long-haired
Yes he’s definitely short haired now but my other cat was never super fluffy as a kitten so I really couldn’t believe how fluffy he was.