Is My Kitten A Dsh Or Dmh?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I just wanted some opinions on whether my kitten is a short haired or medium haired kitty? She is currently 11 weeks and seems a little fluffier than my friend's short haired cat. Many thanks in advance!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's difficult to say. I initially thought Charlie was going to be at least a DMH, but that turned out to just be kitten fluff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's difficult to say. I initially thought Charlie was going to be at least a DMH, but that turned out to just be kitten fluff.
Thanks for your input! I was inclined to think it was just kitten fluff as well but this is my first ever kitten so I have no idea really lol.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Sam was a little kitten he looked like a dsh EXCEPT he had some longer hairs distibuted randomly throughout his coat. As he grew older his coat became longer, matching the length of those longer hairs. Does your baby have random long hairs? That might be a clue.
BTW Your kitten is gorgeous!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Sam was a little kitten he looked like a dsh EXCEPT he had some longer hairs distibuted randomly throughout his coat. As he grew older his coat became longer, matching the length of those longer hairs. Does your baby have random long hairs? That might be a clue.
BTW Your kitten is gorgeous!
Aww thanks so much, I'm so in love with her! Regarding her coat, whilst she does have longer bits here and there, it's pretty uniform and maybe not as sporadic like your Sam's. I guess it's just a test of time, right? Regardless, she has enriched my life so much and now I know why people are so obsessed with cats!

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is generally hard to tell. The chances are better for DSH than DMH and after a while you get a feel for kitten fluff versus DMH. To me that looks DSH with some kitten fluff. But I can't swear on it, and usually by 11 weeks they've lost more of that fluff. Love her regardless!
And yes, sometimes it does happen that kittens that appear SH end up being a little longer, with little to no warning.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give her some time. On one of my kitten's adoption papers it says DSH. She is most definitely NOT a DSH. I'm just not sure if she's DMH or DLH. But when she was 11 weeks, it was hard to tell.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
around that age, Yue was still just a fluffy little short hair kitty. When she changed, it was EVERYTHING. Her coat changed color and grew out, and her tipping got really dark. I think this grand transformation was 6-12 months.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

EarlTheGray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I just wanted some opinions on whether my kitten is a short haired or medium haired kitty? She is currently 11 weeks and seems a little fluffier than my friend's short haired cat. Many thanks in advance!

So cute looks like my new kitten !