Is my kitten a colourpoint please?

colourpoint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone:) this is my gorgeous girl. I'm just wondering is she classed as colourpoint please? She has a small white spot on the top of her head and a white tip on her tail. But the rest of her body I would say is colourpoint from what I have read.
Any help would be so greatful, would love to know what colour she is

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is the self definition of colourpoint, so I suspect you ask about something else.

In some associations, by colourpoint they mean a siamese in non traditional colors.   Is that what you mean?, if she can be counted as a siamese, although she has some few extra spots somewhere?

Without proper papers from an approved association, or at least, a solid history, she will always be technically a shorthaired domestic.

But she is a look alike of a old type siamese,  or Thai as they may be called nowadays.   And a prettie at that too.

The pattern tabby is called for Lynx when its with a point.   So she is a lynx point.   The exact colors I wont describe, Im not expert on them.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

colourpoint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you :) i know she isn't a pure breed. Her mum is a black moggie and dad is unknown. I was just wondering if she would be classed as a colourpoint as her colour? I always thought to get a colourpoint both parents had to be colourpoint? So I was just a bit confused as her mum was black :) I also didn't know as she has a small white spot and a white tip tail if she would still be classed as colourpoint for her colour :) I don't mind either way, she is my baby and such a gorgeous girl x

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's hard to tell the exact color on my monitor, but I believe she is a seal lynx point and white. Possibly blue lynx point and white, but I think her color is too dark to be blue.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 I always thought to get a colourpoint both parents had to be colourpoint?
Its true, but it is enough they got the gene form both parents.  Thus, its not uncommon neither parent is a colorpoint herself, but both are carriers.   And voilá, in a litter of parent-coloured kittens, we got one or two pointed-colored kittens...   The point gene is recessive and weak by itself.  But doubled up in an individual, from both parents, it becomes strong and give the kittens its almost whole outer appearance.

Such can happen among moggies, such can happens  among purebreds, if   siameses were used in building up of their breed.  One example are Russian blue, where they used a couple of siameses in the breeding programme back about 1950...    These point gene is still floating 60 years after.