Is my kitten a Calico male?

LeifwiththeLiner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

This is my new rescue kitten, Leif.

I posted his photo on reddit recently because of his awesome eyeliner and lots of people commented that he’s a calico male which is apparently pretty rare.

I don’t care what colour or coat he is, I just love this baby so much! But it would be awesome to get some more options as I know calico males may need to undergo a few extra health checks which I can ask our vet about at our next check-up in a week or so.

Thanks so much!
AA9C2F8F-1FC0-43B5-8FB7-BBEA211E9FD5.jpeg
23706476-7EC3-4854-B620-DB56D334C865.jpeg
30559CDD-681E-4383-860E-18BB89F9BFBC.jpeg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's so adorable! I love your pictures of him, too :redheartpump:

I would describe Leif as a brown tabby and white domestic longhair. Although it is not easy to see much of his pattern, my guess is that his tabby pattern is classic tabby, because of the width of the black stripes. He doesn't appear to be a calico. That doesn't make him any less special, though... he is obviously a very special little guy :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I would describe Leif as a brown tabby and white domestic longhair. Although it is not easy to see much of his pattern, my guess is that his tabby pattern is classic tabby, because of the width of the black stripes. He doesn't appear to be a calico. That doesn't make him any less special, though... he is obviously a very special little guy :)
Haha our posts crossed - but I feel better about what I wrote after reading yours!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeifwiththeLiner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He isn't a calico.
Calico cats are black, white and red.
I'm not great at exact details what to call him but I think he's a tabby with white. the white hides whatever color is beneath
When you say the colour beneath what exactly do you mean? :)
See I’m confused mainly because people have said that he’s white, black and red which makes him Calico- and he’s definitely white with ginger and black patches but I don’t know how distinct they should be etc.

Because I’ve always rescued most of our cats have usually been black because they are most likely to get left behind so I’m useless with knowing what colour cats are!

Would actually be a little bit of a relief if he wasn’t Calico; he’s had so many uphill battles already that I’m hoping he’s not got too many more to come.

LeifwiththeLiner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I don’t know if it’s the terrible lighting of my photo but he does look more ginger than brown in real life. I’ll attach a new picture here.

But like we’ve said, he’s super special no matter what! And it’ll be a little bit of a relief if he isn’t a Calico because if the health issues he could face- but we’d get through them no matter what ❤

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if it’s the terrible lighting of my photo but he does look more ginger than brown in real life. I’ll attach a new picture here.
We can tell that he is a tabby because of the "eyeliner" markings next to his eyes, and the stripes on top of his head. Brown tabbies have black stripes on a brownish background color. The background color can be anywhere from cold greyish beige, to warm orangey brown. In some cats this background color can appear very orangey / gingery, especially on some parts of the cat such as around the ears, on the belly, and under the tail, as in your pictures.

LeifwiththeLiner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We can tell that he is a tabby because of the "eyeliner" markings next to his eyes, and the stripes on top of his head. Brown tabbies have black stripes on a brownish background color. The background color can be anywhere from cold greyish beige, to warm orangey brown. In some cats this background color can appear very orangey / gingery, especially on some parts of the cat such as around the ears, on the belly, and under the tail, as in your pictures.
Thank you so much for explaining that! It makes perfect sense why people have been commenting that he’s calico but our vets have never mentioned it (despite him having to stay in for a few nights).
I might actually be able to get some sleep now! With him being so poorly we’ve been up bottle feeding and now he’s getting better I’m not sleeping because I’m just worried about him. Then having people commenting that he’s Calico and that he might have health problems has really just scared me to death!
I really really appreciate all you advice and expertise! You’ve really put my mind at rest. ❤