Is my kitten a Bengal or tabby ?

Chasey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, I’ve purchased a beautiful kitten. The seller said he’s a Bengal. I saw the alleged parents and they are two beautiful large brown bengals. My kitten is grey and I don’t believe he’s full Bengal he’s very small snd his fur isn’t as soft he has some Bengal like markings. I believe they claimed him to be full Bengal. But isn’t. Regardless I love him & he’s amazing however I’d like to know if I have been a victim of false advertisement

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a TCS article: Is My Cat A Bengal Or A Bengal Mix? – TheCatSite Articles

Was the person a breeder or just a person selling cats? Backyard breeders often falsely claim their cats are certain popular breeds. They just want to make a profit any way they can. If you didn't get any paperwork that confirms the breed and the parents' pedigrees and all that, it's more than likely that your kitten is not a purebred Bengal. The kitten is cute regardless of breed, even if it's just a regular domestic shorthair (cat equivalent of a mutt) with a Bengal-like coat pattern :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chasey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Was the person a breeder or just a person selling cats? Backyard breeders often falsely claim their cats are certain popular breeds. They just want to make a profit any way they can. If you didn't get any paperwork that confirms the breed and the parents' pedigrees and all that, it's more than likely that your kitten is not a purebred Bengal. The kitten is cute regardless of breed, even if it's just a regular domestic shorthair (cat equivalent of a mutt) with a Bengal-like coat pattern :)
Just a person selling cats, they made a point to show me parents although the so called looked mother pregnant. That made me start to assume they are back street breeders. Rather then their pets just having kittens. I was just confused because my kitten didn’t resemble the “parents” they stated he’s a Bengal. But he doesn’t totally fit the description. I’ll be taking him to vet soon. He’s really lovely and has beautiful markings to me resembles a Bengal but also a tabby

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a BYB Bengal with heavy barring on the ribs.

Be sure to keep a close eye on heart health. Bengals are an HCM prone breed, and I doubt the parents were screened prior to breeding. I’d book a checkup with the vet soon if you haven’t already. ECG at 6 months unless vet notices a significant grade heart murmur.

I’d also do a cheek swab DNA test for PRA-b (blindness) and PK-def (anemia).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitten is brown, not ‘grey’, he resembles a pet quality bengal with heavy rib barring but without registration papers you’ll never know.

I hope you also asked to see the HCM scan results and PRA, Pk-Def DNA results of the parents otherwise you’ll need to do these tests yourself.
The DNA tests can be done now via UC Davis and other labs, heart scan from 12 months.

If you’re not asking for correct documents and doing research prior to sale that is on you, byb’s rely on people not researching as these are the clients they need to keep breeding and selling.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are all photos of this kitten? If so, yes, he is probably a more or less purebred bengal. Pet quality, but bengal. Not all bengals are stunning Show quality bengals.... :)

Im asking, because on the first photo the kitten doesnt look much bengalish, sooner a more regular tabby...

May I ask, what price did you payed? roughly?

ps. If its a byb breeder, the probability is high at least one of the parents isnt purebred, but perhaps a natural dau / son.. The natural child has still usually these typical markings, but they will detoriate in next generations...

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks at least part bengal to me, and he is getting what look like rosettes in the last pic. Reliable breeders will give you registration papers and list the history of parents/grandparents, great grandparents etc. They will have done genetic testing for possible inherited diseases and so on. There are a lot of issues with breeding of the hybrid bred cats though even if the breeder is reliable and on the up and up. He is a cutie whatever the case may be :cool:

Chasey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Was the person a breeder or just a person selling cats? Backyard breeders often falsely claim their cats are certain popular breeds. They just want to make a profit any way they can. If you didn't get any paperwork that confirms the breed and the parents' pedigrees and all that, it's more than likely that your kitten is not a purebred Bengal.
Are all photos of this kitten? If so, yes, he is probably a more or less purebred bengal. Pet quality, but bengal. Not all bengals are stunning Show quality bengals.... :)

Im asking, because on the first photo the kitten doesnt look much bengalish, sooner a more regular tabby...

ps. If its a byb breeder, the probability is high at least one of the parents isnt purebred, but perhaps a natural dau / son.. The natural child has still usually these typical markings, but they will detoriate in next generations...
To be fair I bought him on gumtree I was looking for a kitten and came across some people selling some kittens in the description stating Bengal.
Looks like a BYB Bengal with heavy barring on the ribs.

Be sure to keep a close eye on heart health. Bengals are an HCM prone breed, and I doubt the parents were screened prior to breeding. I’d book a checkup with the vet soon if you haven’t already. ECG at 6 months unless vet notices a significant grade heart murmur.

I’d also do a cheek swab DNA test for PRA-b (blindness) and PK-def (anemia).

I bought him of gumtree, it was not from a certified breeder. I was not specifically looking for a Bengal I was just after a kitten. I decided to take him upon arrival because we bonded. He looked similar to a Bengal but I knew he may not have been for reasons being 1. The price I paid £300 the asking price was £450 he was the last on left and also I think he may have been the runt. I’m not an expert on cats so I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the way he looks

Chasey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He looks at least part bengal to me, and he is getting what look like rosettes in the last pic. Reliable breeders will give you registration papers and list the history of parents/grandparents, great grandparents etc. They will have done genetic testing for possible inherited diseases and so on. There are a lot of issues with breeding of the hybrid bred cats though even if the breeder is reliable and on the up and up. He is a cutie whatever the case may be :cool:
In all honesty I was just after a kitten and fell in love with him. Honestly where he came from his unknown because I bought him for £300 from a lady on the internet definitely not a certified breeder. Will be taking him to the vet for a check up. Definitely a cutie though haha

Chasey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your kitten is brown, not ‘grey’, he resembles a pet quality bengal with heavy rib barring but without registration papers you’ll never know.

I hope you also asked to see the HCM scan results and PRA, Pk-Def DNA results of the parents otherwise you’ll need to do these tests yourself.
The DNA tests can be done now via UC Davis and other labs, heart scan from 12 months.

If you’re not asking for correct documents and doing research prior to sale that is on you, byb’s rely on people not researching as these are the clients they need to keep breeding and selling.
He’s grey

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In all honesty I was just after a kitten and fell in love with him. Honestly where he came from his unknown because I bought him for £300 from a lady on the internet definitely not a certified breeder. Will be taking him to the vet for a check up. Definitely a cutie though haha
Well, looks like you got a great little guy, get him checked for any possible bengal inherited health issues and keep us updated on how he is doing.😻

Chasey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s grey
His markings are more prominent on one side on his left side some of the spots are linked but I’m positive he’s grey

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you he’s a character very troublesome but yet loving x
Sounds like my Quinn, who is a pb siamese, he is very strong willed and dominant, but a super guy and so loving in his own way. Bengals are super active and need to have lots of activity to keep them occupied and to calm any wild features they may have.

Chasey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chasey is grey

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
To be fair I bought him on gumtree I was looking for a kitten and came across some people selling some kittens in the description stating Bengal.

I bought him of gumtree, it was not from a certified breeder. I was not specifically looking for a Bengal I was just after a kitten. I decided to take him upon arrival because we bonded. He looked similar to a Bengal but I knew he may not have been for reasons being 1. The price I paid £300 the asking price was £450 he was the last on left and also I think he may have been the runt. I’m not an expert on cats so I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the way he looks
The fact that you weren’t looking for a pedigree doesn’t change the fact that you have a backyard bred cat that has at least one Bengal parent, which means he needs genetic testing and regular screening of his heart to make sure he didn’t inherit HCM.
Chasey is grey
He is a cold black based (brown) tabby. The fact that his background colour isn’t strongly saturated doesn’t change his genetics.

There is no such thing as “grey” in cat fancy. There are blue and silver tabby, neither of which your cat is.

Chasey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like my Quinn, who is a pb siamese, he is very strong willed and dominant, but a super guy and so loving in his own way. Bengals are super active and need to have lots of activity to keep them occupied and to calm any wild features they may have.
Definitely. Any tips to calm them down? I’ve noticed chase likes to watch tv and when I put cat videos on my phone and prop the phone up he sits and watched is for ages really engrossed lol x
The fact that you weren’t looking for a pedigree doesn’t change the fact that you have a backyard bred cat that has at least one Bengal parent, which means he needs genetic testing and regular screening of his heart to make sure he didn’t inherit HCM.

He is a cold black based (brown) tabby. The fact that his background colour isn’t strongly saturated doesn’t change his genetics.

There is no such thing as “grey” in cat fancy. There are blue and silver tabby, neither of which your cat is.

I appreciate you are very invested and are insisting my cat is a brown tabby. Thank you so much for your assistance. Chase is very much so grey looking in colour similar to charcoal. I purchased a grey kitten and was wondering if he is Bengal or part Bengal based on the information I was provided along with viewing the parents then there’s also the distinctive Pattern resembling Bengal. None the less your opinion is one off many conflicting opinions I have received and I thank your for feedback