Is my girl "Cali" really a calico cat?

jin xiong lor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would say Calico because the colors on her are very distinct and don't blend.
I usually consider a cat to be tortie , is when the colors start to blend and mix and become harder to distinct. Which is why some torties appear darker than calicos.
But I'm no expert, I've just read a lot about the differences of calicos vs torties.
I do believe yours is a calico though.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Having had two tortishells and one calico, I would say this little lady is a calico.  The color splotches are fairly good size and are distinct in color.  A tortishells's pattern is more muted.  Think of a 'brindle' patterned dog's coat.  Or go get a box turtle and look at the blend of colors on the shell, hence:  'tortishell'. 

Here is a picture of our furry family:

Angelina, the Tortie, is in the foreground.

From left to right:  Angelina, Ginger Bear, Yorkie, Hoppi.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
the question is sooner, if she may even be a torbie, ie tortoiseshell (and white here) + tabby.

There are some mackerel stripes on her hind quarter.   Do you see this revealing M on her forehead??

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes but the red bits always have tabby stripes. She's only a torbie if the black bits have tabby stripes. . .and I don't see any. Although the pictures don't show her pattern down her back.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having had two tortishells and one calico, I would say this little lady is a calico.  The color splotches are fairly good size and are distinct in color.  A tortishells's pattern is more muted.  Think of a 'brindle' patterned dog's coat.  Or go get a box turtle and look at the blend of colors on the shell, hence:  'tortishell'. 

Here is a picture of our furry family:

Angelina, the Tortie, is in the foreground.

From left to right:  Angelina, Ginger Bear, Yorkie, Hoppi.
What a great cat pile. I love this picture.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the compliment!

And my husband  and I are in the bed too!  I took the picture, so I am between Angelina and Hoppi.  The two of them were rivals from the start--with me as the prize!  Wasn't I lucky?  DH is on the other side of Hoppi.  This is a double bed by the way.  But, from time to time, we have all been piled into a single bed...

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the compliment!

And my husband  and I are in the bed too!  I took the picture, so I am between Angelina and Hoppi.  The two of them were rivals from the start--with me as the prize!  Wasn't I lucky?  DH is on the other side of Hoppi.  This is a double bed by the way.  But, from time to time, we have all been piled into a single bed...
That is too funny. I see the hump now that is you. :lol3: