Is my foster cat ever going to have kittens?

MinkaTasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I’m here to vent more than anything else.

This is my first foster. When I picked her up, she had an upper respiratory infection and a gaping wound on her side. The rescue told me they expected her to deliver in 1 to 2 weeks. That was 5 1/2 weeks ago.

The wound is healed, the cold is gone, but no kittens. She eats, plays, and is a little rounder in the belly than when I picked her up. I believe I have felt the kittens move for the last few weeks, but she is active and always moving/purring so it’s hard to say for sure. She also won’t let me keep my hand there for very long after I had to put ointment in her eye for a week three weeks ago.

She vomits every other day. Sometimes hair, sometimes undigested food. That’s been going on for almost two weeks. I have emailed the rescue and sent pictures, but they are unconcerned. She also does a weird retching that seems to be a cough based on internet research, and I sent a video of it. No concern. Their nonchalance is maddening. When I picked her up, I asked when I should bring her back for a checkup, and they just said, “Email us when the kittens arrive.”

They emailed last week and apologized, saying they thought she was farther along. It almost seems unbelievable to me. When I signed up to foster, they told me about the cat with the cold and the wound, but I didn’t get her for another two weeks after that because she had to be cleared by the medical team. So that means they knew she was pregnant 7 1/2 weeks ago. Is that even possible? Will these kittens ever arrive? Is it a pseudo pregnancy?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goodness! She needs to be actually checked out by a vet for her cough and perhaps to confirm the stage of her pregnancy. She does not sound 100% well.

Does she have round sides like a pregnant cat? Have you seen kitten movement? I understand your frustration. Will the shelter let you make an appointment with their vet so she can be seen?

Things don't seem quite right with her health as you’ve described.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MinkaTasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is rounded on the sides. Not terribly big, like I remember my cat being when I was a child (6 kittens), but round. I have not seen movement, but she is black and white and always purring, so her sides are always moving and the color contour makes it hard to see. I have ended every email with “should I bring her in to see the vet?” And they ignore that question in their response.

MinkaTasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Getting ointment for her eye oozing yellow pus was a huge accomplishment on my part!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like the shelter may be overwhelmed. Perhaps ask directly for an appointment based on her cough and her vomiting. She may need more antibiotics. It’s difficult for me to know where she may be in her pregnancy. Thank you for advocating for her.

MinkaTasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My father-in-law is a retired vet and he stopped by today. I asked him to check her out and he said he can’t feel any kittens. He’s had two strokes, though, so his hand is sometimes shaky. But his name still holds weight in town with the rescues, so hopefully when I call on Monday and tell them this, they will get her in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! They really do need to check her. She’s clearly not 100% and it’s worrisome. I wonder why they thought she was pregnant in the first place, unless it’s just a kitten or two. Keep us posted.

MinkaTasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An update for anyone who stumbles on this post in the future. Our foster never had kittens. I had her for 57 days. She had stopped throwing up, her stomach seemed to shrink, and her nipples were reducing in size. And then she began to throw up again and her eye infection returned. I demanded the shelter look at her which meant relinquishing her to them. They waited 5 days to give her an ultrasound after I dropped her off and claimed there was no sign she had ever been pregnant. I disagree, and I think they knew they messed up by not seeing her when I first contacted them about her getting ill, so it’s easier to pretend she never was pregnant.

We picked up our next foster today and were able to peek in at our previous foster while we were there—her belly was completely gone. She seemed happy, in a big room with 4 other cats and a volunteer giving her love, which helped my heart a little bit.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, what a strange story. I'm glad she's doing OK now. I hope she'll find her forever home soon.

:catrub: