Is my "chica" a smokey blue or black???

Chica07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In 2007 ish my naughbor was moving and had just got a female cat that he couldn't take so he gave her to us.. at first he wanted money saying he paid alot for her.. we just saw that she was a reg black short-haired cat. She had gray straps though like a tiger stripes... later we noted that she had a white gray undercoat, we just thought it was strange and let it go as years passed we go more and more curious about her... she is very unique and had a unique personality to
The first, she thought herself to fetch she fetches bottlescaps hairbands and her favorite was dead to half dead mice or baby mice she wanted me to throw and play fetch with ...
The second, is she sleeps on my head every night and she also will sleep across my neck, my chest or in my arms ill wake up and she in one of these places but 90% of the time it's my my head and she digs her paws in so I can't move and she won't lose my forehead as her pillow...
She is very unique she is 13ish now and I just want to know what she is , is she a smokey black or blue???
I just wish my late husband did fix her, if she is I would have loved to get some kittens from her... I don't think I'll ever have anything like my sweet Chica again BTW that's her name CHICA

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
She's black smoke and white. Beautiful kitty. Love her little white toes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chica07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What do you mean by She's black smoke and white????

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In 2007 ish my naughbor was moving and had just got a female cat that he couldn't take so he gave her to us.. at first he wanted money saying he paid alot for her.. we just saw that she was a reg black short-haired cat. She had gray straps though like a tiger stripes... later we noted that she had a white gray undercoat, we just thought it was strange and let it go as years passed we go more and more curious about her... she is very unique and had a unique personality to
The first, she thought herself to fetch she fetches bottlescaps hairbands and her favorite was dead to half dead mice or baby mice she wanted me to throw and play fetch with ...
The second, is she sleeps on my head every night and she also will sleep across my neck, my chest or in my arms ill wake up and she in one of these places but 90% of the time it's my my head and she digs her paws in so I can't move and she won't lose my forehead as her pillow...
She is very unique she is 13ish now and I just want to know what she is , is she a smokey black or blue???
I just wish my late husband did fix her, if she is I would have loved to get some kittens from her... I don't think I'll ever have anything like my sweet Chica again BTW that's her name CHICA
She is a cutie 😻 I think she is a dsh( domestic shorthair- no specific breed) black and white cat and may be a black smoke because her roots are so white. Most of the smoke cats I have seen pics of have more white showing through on their chest and tails and other parts but short hair cats don’t have that as much as longhair cats maybe I think or maybe it is just the pics. Here are links on what black smoke is. I can’t seem to find specific info on the genetics that cause it- I thought I had read that already but I will keep looking for the link.

Cat coat: silver and smoke cats — The Little Carnivore

Basic Feline Genetics – The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc

Cat coat genetics - Wikipedia

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What do you mean by She's black smoke and white????
She is a mostly black cat with some white spots, which is called Black and White Bicolor. Smoke is the description for the white roots in the black areas. Add them together and you get Black Smoke and White. These are all descriptive terms which are unrelated to breed. Without a known history (pedigree) she is considered DSH or Domestic Shorthair, no particular breed.

Most of the smoke cats I have seen pics of have more white showing through on their chest and tails and other parts but short hair cats don’t have that as much as longhair cats maybe I think or maybe it is just the pics.
I have a Black Smoke and White kitty whose smoke is not visible unless you actually lift the hair to see the roots. The black guard hairs are just really sleek and lay close to her body. I think longhair smoke cats may have more of the roots showing through just because the long hair stands away from their bodies.