Is My Cat's Spay Incision Healing Ok?

Kenji-coco29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat came back from the vet with a collar 4 days ago but today one of my other cats pulled the piece of cloth you tie the collar around off! My cat will not cooperate and it is SO hard to get it back in. It's so traumatising trying to chase her around the house to grab her and when I do, she wiggles and shakes her head. There's no way I can put it on for her. Can I just leave it as it is? I've been monitoring it and she licked it a couple of times but she hasn't picked at it. I've attached a photo of how it looks like, could you please let me know if it's healing well. I'm just so worried about it getting infected and I'm due to give birth any day now so my stress levels are off the charts!

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks fine to me. Just try to stop her licking too much and make sure the stitches stay in. As long as there is no redness, swelling or infection she should he fine. There are usually internal stitches as well as external. Good luck with your impendimg baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kenji-coco29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks fine to me. Just try to stop her licking too much and make sure the stitches stay in. As long as there is no redness, swelling or infection she should he fine. There are usually internal stitches as well as external. Good luck with your impendimg baby.
Thank you so much for you reply and your well wishes. I'm such a worrier and I hate seeing her miserable. Trying to put the collar back on was horrific and I know she needs rest after a surgery like this. I'm going to leave it like this and monitor her during the day but gosh knows what she'll be up to during the night.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats was a nightmare. Pulled the stitches out the first night and fought against the collar. Had staples put in day two and pulled one out day 5. The vet took all of them out on day 5 and she was fine. Try to relax and rest, you are going to need it. Please let us know when you have the baby

Kenji-coco29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Guys...this is how the incision is looking now! Should I be worried??? That redness wasn't there before.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a little difficult to see from the photo but it looks like it may have opened a little at that point. Has it bled or is there any pus? It still looks ok to me. Is she pestering it at all?.

Kenji-coco29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's a little difficult to see from the photo but it looks like it may have opened a little at that point. Has it bled or is there any pus? It still looks ok to me. Is she pestering it at all?.
I've seen her lick it a few times today and tried to get her to stop. The funny thing is she was never really bothering it couple days ago and the stich looked fine this morning.

I've uploaded a better version of the photo

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks fine, as if it is healing well. Just keep an eye on it to make sure the stitches stay in and it is clean. If you are still concerned, send the photo to your vet to put your mind at rest.

Kenji-coco29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I'll look and see how it looks tomorrow morning. Really don't want it to get infected. But it's been 7days so chances of infections should be low. She should be well on her way for it to get healed fingers crossed!!!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When are the stitches coming out. I think if it was going to be infected it would have happened by now.

Echy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It doesn't look infected, you should be fine as you said its been 7 days/1 week. It does, however, look slightly sore, I would give your kitty something to soothe the pain, and I don't mean painkillers, I mean something like treats. Just don't give her toys, if she plays around, it may open.

Best regards,
~Echy

Kenji-coco29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When are the stitches coming out. I think if it was going to be infected it would have happened by now.
My vet said it'll come out by itself which I am assuming means dissolvable stitches

Kenji-coco29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It doesn't look infected, you should be fine as you said its been 7 days/1 week. It does, however, look slightly sore, I would give your kitty something to soothe the pain, and I don't mean painkillers, I mean something like treats. Just don't give her toys, if she plays around, it may open.

Best regards,
~Echy
It's been so hard keeping her away from my other cat as they love to chase each other. I have let them be together majority of the day for the last 2 days. Maybe I should separate them again? But my other cat will have such a moan especially in the middle of the night and I already have difficulties staying asleep never mind having a cat meowing haha.

Echy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been so hard keeping her away from my other cat as they love to chase each other. I have let them be together majority of the day for the last 2 days. Maybe I should separate them again? But my other cat will have such a moan especially in the middle of the night and I already have difficulties staying asleep never mind having a cat meowing haha.
I would separate them when I got my cats fixed, (I had them done one at a time, each one week apart) I played the other cat out (the one that didn't get fixed) so I could put them together and they would just sleep. Try it!

Keep us informed!
~Echy