Is my cat tired of me?

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
4-5 month old kittens, dsh.
I am the one who feeds, trains, cleans litter box, fills water bowl daily, gives treats plays and cuddles with the cats in my house but lately i noticed some weird behavior:( theyre fine when im home alone with them and get very cuddly but when other people are home they won't follow me nor come near... I don't understand it, they have been getting closer to my brother but he never spends time with them nor assists any of their necessities, the other day they sat around everyone but me and i felt weird, as if i was doing something wrong but im putting as much effort as I can into this cat-owner relationship:( i really dont know what i am doing wrong, the worst thing i could have done is picking them up and putting them next to me but I don't force them to stay, if they dont wana be picked up i leave them be Or thd fact that i force them to gst back in when they have been outside for too long. They don't get excited to see me after being out for hours which is weird because before theyd be waiting in the door even if i was gone just for 20 minutes.. is this a teenage cat behavior or?? Anything would help, I want to know if i am doing anything wrong but i kinda doubt it??
My father always forces my cats to stay with him and picks them up when they dont want to / annoy them in sleep until they run away and then picks them up
My mom yells at and scares them if they missbehave
So im just unsure??

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You're not doing anything wrong, and it's somewhat tied to teenage catly behavior.

Try ignoring them (other than continuing to do what they need) for a little while :)

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t worry. My Phoebe is very affectionate, sleeps on me all night, will want cuddles at random times, but also loves the two regular visitors we have and makes a beeline for their laps or demands playtime when they arrive - and she’s seven years old!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
You're not doing anything wrong, and it's somewhat tied to teenage catly behavior.

Try ignoring them (other than continuing to do what they need) for a little while :)
Ohh okay thank you!! I really cannot ignore those furry faces bit ill try^_^

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t worry. My Phoebe is very affectionate, sleeps on me all night, will want cuddles at random times, but also loves the two regular visitors we have and makes a beeline for their laps or demands playtime when they arrive - and she’s seven years old!
Ohh aww!! Sounds like a very cute cat :] you must be a good owner !! Thank you for the information tho!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds normal to me. The cats already know who you are and are curious about your company. It's true that cats gravitate towards those who ignore them, because they feel no threat, if you focus on them they feel like they are threatened. This might tie into your mom yelling at them because I bet she pretty much ignores them the rest of the time. They are just getting comfortable around you and are expanding their horizons.
Don't force a cat into doing something, if they start feeling uncomfortable around you, they WILL avoid you.
Cats are very independent. Especially in the teenage years. They are too busy finding new things and loving life to bother with laps. They will become couch potatoes and much more lovey in a year or so. Don't worry, they still love you very much, they just accept you as a family member. You could make it a little more interesting by offering treats every day, something like shaved turkey is usually much appreciated. Or good quality all-meat cat treats. All the luck!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh aww!! Sounds like a very cute cat :] you must be a good owner !! Thank you for the information tho!!
Thank you! I can’t take the credit, she was already like that when we met her at the shelter - and she’d been rescued from the street, and was maybe a year old. It’s all down to her lovely purrsonality!