Is My Cat Stupid?

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dusty was smart as a kitten. I would buy him toys where he'd have to figure out how to get the food or toy out of a closed spot and he would do it with no problem, it was too easy for him. Now he's 2.5 years old and a little chubby so I bought one of those balls where you put the food, then the cat rolls it around and the food falls out. For some reason Dusty can't figure out how to get the food out. I'll roll it to show him and he'll eat what falls out but he then just looks at me, he doesn't mimic what I'm doing. I've gotten on the floor with him and tried helping him by using his paws to push it but he still doesn't get it. There's no other food available so I would think he'd be hungry enough to figure it out but it's not happening. Any advice? BTW I've tried it with his treats too hoping that he'd really make an effort but no luck.

catkin56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dusty was smart as a kitten. I would buy him toys where he'd have to figure out how to get the food or toy out of a closed spot and he would do it with no problem, it was too easy for him. Now he's 2.5 years old and a little chubby so I bought one of those balls where you put the food, then the cat rolls it around and the food falls out. For some reason Dusty can't figure out how to get the food out. I'll roll it to show him and he'll eat what falls out but he then just looks at me, he doesn't mimic what I'm doing. I've gotten on the floor with him and tried helping him by using his paws to push it but he still doesn't get it. There's no other food available so I would think he'd be hungry enough to figure it out but it's not happening. Any advice? BTW I've tried it with his treats too hoping that he'd really make an effort but no luck.
I was trying to get my Albert to eat more slowly because he was barfing a lot. I got him a "puzzle"-type bowl and he basically just stared at it. Got another kind, same deal. I just feed him small amounts frequently, am thinking of getting an automatic bowl with a timer ... I don't think your Dusty is necessarily stupid, some cats just don't get certain things.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would try leaving treats inside the puzzle ball for a couple of days. My cat couldn't figure it out for a while, and then it somehow clicked and within 10 minutes all the treats were gone. Make sure the treats are particularly high value.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think he's stupid. I think he's lazy. If you're rolling the ball around and food is dropping out without him doing anything, then why should he bother to try.
Don't roll it for him and let him figure it out.
I agree. My cats are very bright. I bought them a puzzle toy and they figured out how to get the treats rather quickly. Then they figured out that it was best if I did it for them. They stopped using it and it went back to the store.

I have a game on my Kindle Fire called Paw Me Lite. It's for cats and it has a mouse that runs around the screen until the cat taps it with his/her paw. Sophie KNOWS how to play the game and when I put it on for her, she will do so for a minute or two and then will watch the mouse and look at me like, "are you going to get that?" I always fall for it and show her how to tap the mouse. So she watches ME play HER game. :lol:

They are too smart for their (and our) own good. They have us trained far too well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree. My cats are very bright. I bought them a puzzle toy and they figured out how to get the treats rather quickly. Then they figured out that it was best if I did it for them. They stopped using it and it went back to the store.

I have a game on my Kindle Fire called Paw Me Lite. It's for cats and it has a mouse that runs around the screen until the cat taps it with his/her paw. Sophie KNOWS how to play the game and when I put it on for her, she will do so for a minute or two and then will watch the mouse and look at me like, "are you going to get that?" I always fall for it and show her how to tap the mouse. So she watches ME play HER game. :lol:

They are too smart for their (and our) own good. They have us trained far too well.
So funny and so true!
BTW, I'm happy to report to everyone that although it took 3 days, Dusty finally figured out how to use the ball with the food in it. For 3 nights I didn't leave any food out, just the ball with food, and by the third night he did it! He's definitely not thrilled with it but he's eating less because of it. YAY... now I have to find one of these feeders for me :lol: